Things to try with scouts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clownman

Jan 9, 2009
Tamworth
Hi, Im new to the forums, but i have to say you guys have a great forum here.

Anyway im a scout leader in the midlands, I would say I have a pretty good experience of the great british outdoors, and have spent many a night in bivvi's and bashas. Each year we do at least one survival camp with our scouts, sleeping in bivvi's, cooking on fires etc and tin foil is banned! :D

I was after some idea's of more interesting things I could get them to cook up and try, stuff that could be scavenged from woodlands etc thats easily identified. so any ideas and how you do it would be great.

Thanks guys

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Hi, Im new to the forums, but i have to say you guys have a great forum here.

Anyway im a scout leader in the midlands, I would say I have a pretty good experience of the great british outdoors, and have spent many a night in bivvi's and bashas. Each year we do at least one survival camp with our scouts, sleeping in bivvi's, cooking on fires etc and tin foil is banned! :D

I was after some idea's of more interesting things I could get them to cook up and try, stuff that could be scavenged from woodlands etc thats easily identified. so any ideas and how you do it would be great.

Thanks guys

Try the stuff from scouting for boys...

You could take a look at wild food as well (The Ray Mears series).

It depends on experience of the scouts really, if they have seen and done stuff before, you need new stuff. If not showing the old stuff working can be an experience.

Butchery of bunnys, and fish is very interesting, ie doing it right.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Scouting for boys is a very good reference, sometimes you need to adapt the activities to the experience of the troop. I wouls look there first. Our HQ has a libriary of scouting books from 1914 onwards they are wonderful for ideas. Keep you eye out for some as they can be picked up cheaply, one idea pays for the book

Try here http://www.alibris.co.uk/search/books/author/Scout Association

The Dump Scout Scan

Is worth a look, they have lots of old scout stuff in pdf format, including scouting for boys.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The dump is a good resource
What may help is an idea of what they have done in the past.

I would be very careful as to what I showed them as you can deplete an areas resources easily and more importatnt a little knowledge can be very dangerous as some things are easy to mistake for what is good to eat when its not.

clownman

Jan 9, 2009
Tamworth
they've probably done more than most scouts, dandelion soup, nettle tea, been taught to identify most berries etc.

Theres not much chance of them depleting an area really, we only do this kind of thing on one or two weekends a year. We have permission to use a local farmer's land for our camps and we tend to rotate our way around 9000 or so acres.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
Scouts are only really interested in two things: What will burn, and what will float.

In my experience there are 3 things the 2 you mentioned and anything they can eat provide a memorable meal and the camping trip from hell becomes the one they want to do again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE