Thin ally or steel

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Does anyone know where I can by a small amount of thin ally or stainless (I'm thinking about the thickness of pepsi cans.

I really like the idea of the caldera cone system but they don't make one for the Alpkit mug and it shouldn't be too difficult to make. Combined with a pepsi can stove should be a really efficient and light.

Cheers

Matt

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Why not buy a couple of cheap metal basting/cooking dishes from your local cheap shop, whichever that may be. Cut them up with a set of tin snips and you're away. If it doesn't work, what have you lost, a couple of quid? If it does work, what have you gained? Nothing, 'cos you'll owe me a beer or three for the idea!

:D

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It does just look like an upturned plant pot.
I'm guessing the diameter of the base need to be close to 10cm. But can't find any other dimensions of the thing.

Ah
Diameter of base. 185 mm (7.28 in).
Diameter of top. 130 mm (5.11 in).
Height. 145 mm (5.7 in).

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50072320

Diameter: 15 cm
Height: 15 cm
Inside diameter: 14 cm

fairly close, but galvanzied steel.. so wouldn't stand up to heat, but maybe good for a protoype.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A simple source for some good sheet steel for your project would be a section of stove pipe. They generally are in 2 foot lengths, and in diameters from 3 inch up to 8 and 10 inch. They do have a special formed edge on the long edges - that click and lock together to form the final pipe. But that would be easy to cut off. And there are generally two different thicknesses - for light and heavy stove pipe. And some is also stainless - especially the insulated double and triple wall ones. Buying new where I live they run between $5 and $6 (usd) per section for the regular stove pipe, but jump up to $20 to $30 (usd) for the double/triple wall insulated stuff. But you also get 2 or 3 whole sheets of stainless for that - when you cut it apart.

Also check out some plumbing supply places. They work with a bunch when remodeling kitchens. Stainless Steel appliances, sinks, and counter tops are IN FASHION right now, but also required for restaurants. Scraps can be available from custom fitting jobs, or from old stuff being torn out and replaced. A beat up old kitchen prep counter would have a lot of material for projects, but might be a bit thick. But a side panel from an junker stove or fridge might be thin enough.

And don't forget the scrap/recycling companies. They tend to sort stainless steel into its own pile.

Hope this helps.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I saw Hypervalue (think Poundstretcher but for South Wales) had big turkey sized foil roasting dished the other day for a £1. They'd be plenty big enough and a reasonable thickness.

The Alpkit mug must be similarly sized to some other mugs, won't one of the standard cones fit?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I agree with Spam, get a roasting tray or similar from a pound stretcher type shop
You can afford to get several and experiment with styles...

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
another good source for thin stainless steel is old stainless microwaves from your local tip.
Talk nicely to the operators take microwave home remove metal outer case and return rest to tip. You normally end up with about at least 3 square feet of stainless sheet.

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I know of a handy place to get sheet aluminum about the thickness of a Pepsi can... try the grocery store, it comes wrapped around pressurized liquid to maintain it's shape ;). Although a regular soft drink can looks like it would be too small for what you want, one of the big 950 mL cans of beer or malt liquor might be large enough.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Have a look on ebay or in a charity shop. You can get a stainless steel travel mug that is exactly the right shape. Prise off the plastic and drill a few holes, you should get it done for under £2.

Sandsnakes

See you at the Bushmoot:)

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
A local shop is having a refit - in the skip was a few 400w light fittings (the big square type you see on the ceilings of warehouses) the reflective bit is a lovely workable bit of alloy, will post some pics tomorrow.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
:censored: wifi/internet went down and is now sporadic.

Here are the pics.

Size 16"x22" ish
16x22.jpg

A close up of the pattern.
NicePattern.jpg

Got a cheap set of tin snips £2 But If you score it with a sharp blade it will snap along the line :)

Hope this helps.

Mang

Settler
Another source for the future is your local supermarket. The Ox tongue and Corned beef comes in a tin which has both ends cut off (think of a vets arm and a cow as to how it's removed!:D). they are possibly a bit thicker than a drinks can but very sturdy and I've made burners for the Cubs out of them.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Does anyone know where I can by a small amount of thin ally or stainless (I'm thinking about the thickness of pepsi cans.

I have many sheets of stainless steel in thicknesses of 100um to 150um. They are old stencils used for electronics assembly but there is still quite a bit of material on them that hasn't got holes cut in it. Let me know if anyone wants some.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE