thermometer watches

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
As a matter of interest, how accurate are the thermometers on watches? To have a temperature gauge on my wrist would be useful to me but I worry that being on the wrist would mean the reading is influenced by body temperature. If so, what is the point of them as you would have to take them off to get an accurate reading?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As a rough guide, pretty approximate. You need to read the specifications for each individual watch. You can always take it off if you're worried about body heat.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have a Casio Sea Pathfinder that includes a thermometer. Once it's on my wrist the thermometer is useless for any practical purpose - even in the coldest weather it still gives a temperature in the high 20s C. Off the wrist, it takes a while to cool (being quite heavy) but it did give accurate temperatures in the few tests I did with it.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
One that I had said that to get an accurate temperature reading the watch had to off your wrist for 15 mins. It was just a cheap one from tesco though so I don't know if more expensive ones are better.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
Tesco sell a small weather gadget thingy on a Karribiner for £9.99
Its got a thermometer which will show low temps
Useful as you can keep it clipped where the reading won't be distorted by your body heat

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a Casio Sea Pathfinder that includes a thermometer. Once it's on my wrist the thermometer is useless for any practical purpose - even in the coldest weather it still gives a temperature in the high 20s C. Off the wrist, it takes a while to cool (being quite heavy) but it did give accurate temperatures in the few tests I did with it.

'Tis what I feared.. thanks

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Tesco sell a small weather gadget thingy on a Karribiner for £9.99
Its got a thermometer which will show low temps
Useful as you can keep it clipped where the reading won't be distorted by your body heat

Had a look on Tesco's website and found - of all things - a digital golf scorer with clock and thermometer functions which is small and comes with a karabiner. Might check it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE