Thermo-puukko-son-of-frankenstein-thing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Finally got around to using nothing but leftover scraps to rebuild my own personal puukko. This little monster shoukld be able to dish out all of the abuse it's already used to

Blade- reprofiled lauri 95mm
Handle- g10, leather, red maple, 7075AL
Sheath- 9 oz. Latigo, 80lb. Spectra stitching (x2), nickel and AL hardware, .093 Concealx 3/4 liner

1223319171-IMG_0343_resize.JPG

1223319215-IMG_0341_resize.JPG

1223319241-IMG_0338_resize.JPG

(sorry about the out of focus look, the camera did not want to cooperate with the reflection)

the 4 inset dots on the handle (2 per side) are temerature changing pigments mixed into a glass epoxy base. They change color at 0 C, 15 C, 30 C, 45 C (32 F, 58 F, 86 F, 113 F)... At first i just wanted one dot that would tell when it got to freezing and when it hit 60F... So much for conservation:)
...and then there's the glowy dot thingy on the sheath rivet.

The sheath spine is polished to a glass/mirror finish.

Tell me what you think about this strange little creature;)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I like it not traditional in that its not wood but more scandi than most you see around here ie stick tang:You_Rock_

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Thanks for the nice words and feedback... Have been trying to get rid of all the odd materials and scraps hanging around. Figured it was about time to "revamp" my trusty edge with some new duds;)

Nathan- My primary supplier is Tracy Mickley at http://usaknifemaker.com.. He gets a lot of oddball supplies from industrial yards and such (along with the necessities). Bought a block of natural g10 @ 6"x6"x1.75" for 5$ + 5$ shipping. Considering the price, it's below cost of manufacturing. I think he said that he got a load of it from a 2-3 ton pile behind a manufacturing warehouse. So far, he's turned out to be the cheapest for firesteel blanks, handle materials/hardware, CyanoAcrylate (super glue).

I still have one more good size chunk of G10 to play with. Trying to figure out a way to integrate an LED UV water purification setup inside of the handle or sheath. Picked up a 100 lot of 365nm UV LED's for really cheap.. and they don't consume that much power in series of 10 (which is enough to purify 1/2 ltr of water in about 60 seconds!).
Will start another thread for that one.

Thanks again guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE