There are advantages...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Of having some basic leather working skills :)

My watchstrap broke this evening so I thought I needed a replacement now but I want one that will last... so out comes the leather and a couple hours later I have a 100% genuine veg tanned leather strap.

It's still got to have a oiled finish applied but I'm please with it so far, especially as the fit is better than the original strap :cool:

IMAG0182.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As to an oil finish - I left my veg tan straps unfinished but with wearing them constantly they have turned almost black with the oil from my skin. I say "them" as I have more than one so I can wash them now and then - so it aint just dirt! :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Great work - need to make a new one for my watch too as it broke and the new strap isn't very comfortable (despite saying "genuine leather" I don't think it is). Did you skive the leather where it goes round the pins?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great work - need to make a new one for my watch too as it broke and the new strap isn't very comfortable (despite saying "genuine leather" I don't think it is). Did you skive the leather where it goes round the pins?
"Genuine leather" can be leather dust and chippings bound in a resin base... you need to look for "Full Grain Leather" for decent straps - but they are few and far between!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
"Genuine leather" can be leather dust and chippings bound in a resin base... you need to look for "Full Grain Leather" for decent straps - but they are few and far between!

Think we covered this in a previous thread of mine. I think half the strap is leather but the rest is vinyl - I must try making my own strap anyway!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Nice one Steve, looking good
And it is always my motto it better to have the skill to make something then have the money to buy another
Yours sincerely

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Very nice strap, Steve. Will last far better too!

Nice one Steve, looking good
And it is always my motto it better to have the skill to make something then have the money to buy another
Yours sincerely

Too true Ruud! I agree 100% with that statement, I try and do that all the time. May take longer but far better in the end

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE