The worst grub you have made in the bush?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Whats the worst possible tasting food you have ever cooked up or tried while bushcrafting?

We all talk about our favourites but not our worsts. For me, I hate the taste of anything with pine needles in, the smell and taste is just foul in my opinion and a classic would be wet bread, I just can't eat it. I'm not a big fan of sea food either.

I can imagine bugs would be awful but to be honost I daren't try anything that crawls! Unless you can tell me what is a crawling treat? :)

some of the yuckiest things i've eaten include:

Dead Man's Foot Mushroom (Pisolithus tinctorius)
deadmansfoot.jpg

Banana Slug
bananaslug1.jpg

European Black Slug
europeanblackslug1.jpg

and Sea Anemone (don't have a photo)...

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
storm said:
some of the yuckiest things i've eaten include:

Dead Man's Foot Mushroom (Pisolithus tinctorius)

Banana Slug

European Black Slug

and Sea Anemone (don't have a photo)...

Eeek! There was me thinking that a Raven brand (Dehydrated) Sweet and Sour Chicken was bad.......

Simon

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
I don't know how people could eat slugs, the mushroom doesn't look to bad, what does it taste like?

after scooping out the guts (it's been shown that slugs can carry liver flukes and tapeworms), i used to put them in the frying pan. the slime does not go away, and i usually enjoy the slime on most mushrooms (like Cowboy's Handkercheif fungus and Parrot Waxy Cap). but not on a flaccid, gray strip if tasteless flesh...

the Dead Man's Foot mushroom tasted like (how i would imagine the following to taste like) moldy charcoal, complete with a powdery, gritty texture...

Aug 9, 2005
Oh man that slug is minging. Worst grub I ever had some pasta with bits of pork pie crumbled into it and tomato ketchup to deaden the taste. Never again.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The worst tasting meal I ever ate while bushcrafting was squirrel. It was roadkill and must have been dead for a week. It was while I was in the army and being daft lads together we used to dare each other to eat all sorts of nasty stuff. I've eaten field mice and rats, woodlice stew and crow, mostly flavoured with hot madras curry powder, but the sour taste of long deat squirel even came through the curry. Needless to say I spent the next week on the pot with my guts turning themselves inside out.

Eric

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Not really the worse tasting as it tasted good to me, I was on a "survival course" as a boy scout in Zimbabwe and given what I thought was biltong, (which was eaten with great relish). I found out later it was a slice of monkey they had shot two weeks ago and left in a tree. I thought the white bits were crushed pepper, they were actually fly eggs.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Carcajou Garou said:
Dog soup/stew, undercooked, and with turnips (I hate turnips) , probably an old cur. (was in a camp pot)
just a thought
In Romania we met a very friendly farmer, who not only let us sleep in his fields but invited us in for dinner. He served a rather sour stew with some incredible brand of alchohol, which seemed to be a mix of scrumpy and pure moonshine. Our farmer was quickly off his head (I swear had you tried to clean spoons with this stuff it would have just dissolved them into nothing :eek: ) and lost control of his English, which hadn't been good to start with. His wife quickly exited the room, but when me and my friend tried to leave he held us back, trying to tell us something in what wasn't even words. Finally he managed "bea" which means "drink". We sat down and tried to force this awful stuff down our throats, looking polite as possible. He carried on in a bit of a drunken haze, mumbling words that seemed to finish the word "câine" a lot - dog. He pointed at the stew, saying "câine" again, then managed "dog soup" in English. At that I think we possibly ran rather than walked to the door, thanking him for his hospitality. Very strange experience.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
arctic hobo said:
In Romania we met a very friendly farmer, who not only let us sleep in his fields but invited us in for dinner. He served a rather sour stew with some incredible brand of alchohol, which seemed to be a mix of scrumpy and pure moonshine. Our farmer was quickly off his head (I swear had you tried to clean spoons with this stuff it would have just dissolved them into nothing :eek: ) and lost control of his English, which hadn't been good to start with. His wife quickly exited the room, but when me and my friend tried to leave he held us back, trying to tell us something in what wasn't even words. Finally he managed "bea" which means "drink". We sat down and tried to force this awful stuff down our throats, looking polite as possible. He carried on in a bit of a drunken haze, mumbling words that seemed to finish the word "câine" a lot - dog. He pointed at the stew, saying "câine" again, then managed "dog soup" in English. At that I think we possibly ran rather than walked to the door, thanking him for his hospitality. Very strange experience.

Sounds like Palinca to me - plum brandy allegedly, but better known amongst Brits as Ronson's Lighter Fuel.... :eek:

Last drunk some of that the night before my job interview with National Air Traffic Services as an apprentice Air Traffic Controller.
Funnily enough I didn't get the job :eek: .

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Tony said:
Storm, how did you cook them? Boiling, roasted? :rolleyes:

Once the slugs have been cleaned, boil them for a few minutes and then fry them with beech mast, the oil from the nuts will coat them and add in sliced ramsons bullbs. You might be pleasently suprised. (Important, if you dont clean the guts out, feed them on safe vegetation for 24 hours just to be on the safe side.) You never know what they've been eating!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE