The woods **** pic heavy ****

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Took the boys up the woods again this week for a couple of days, we did intend to set up our hammocks, but couldn't find an area suitable to sling three hammocks up in a smallish area, well none that were safe anyway, the only areas we could find that were suitable either had dead branches overhead or were in the shade of some beech trees, so we elected to set up the tarps instead and get the bivi bags out (had them with us just in case).

The boys practised fire starting with the ferro rod and/or flint & steel, i always make a point to get the boys collecting tinder, kindling & fuel for the fire and let them get the fire going while i set up the sleeping arrangements, glad to say they got the fire going first time and it stayed alight for all the time we were there.

We also practised a bit a of tracking, something in which i need practice as well, fire by friction, carving, knife skills, trap building, did a bit of foraging etc, I'll let the photo's tell the story:

The woods

Dscn5077.jpg

Dscn5079.jpg

General view of the camp area, the boys both slept under the large tarp whilst i had the smaller dark green one, we stayed in the same spot as last time to save making anymore fire scars in the woods, although we ALWAYS clear up when we go home so it looks as if nobody was ever there, i don't like having too many different camp fire areas in the woods.

Dscn5018.jpg

Dscn5021.jpg

Dscn5020.jpg

Dscn5016.jpg

Dscn5059.jpg

Dscn5092.jpg

the boys had a bit of a play, especially the younger one, the eldest preferred to sit there and practice his knife skills.

Dscn5062.jpg

Dscn5131.jpg

Dscn5070.jpg

As the day progressed we decided to go for an explore and a forage to see what we could find

Dscn5013.jpg

Dscn5027.jpg

We were all amazed at the number of fungi and mushrooms that were around, absolutely masses of them, some edible, some not!!! if anyone can confirm or correct my ID of these fungi, please do.

Dscn5035.jpg

Dscn5040.jpg

Dscn5053.jpg

Birch Polypore

Dscn5041.jpg

Think this one is a Boletus Porosporus?

Dscn5037.jpg

Same again.

Dscn5026.jpg

This i think is a Red Cracking Bolete?

Rscn5144.jpg

The one thing that did amaze me was the sheer abundance of parasol mushrooms, ive been coming to these woods for a couple of years now, and this is the first time i have seen this many at the same time and some of these were huge

Dscn5049.jpg

Dscn5047.jpg

Dscn5046.jpg

Dscn5029.jpg

After our foray into the world of mycology, we headed back to camp, on the way we found the "remains" of a Jay that had lost the battle

Dscn5045.jpg

back at camp the boys and I made a figure 4 deadfall trap.

Dscn5097.jpg

not an ideal version of the trap, but it proved to the boys you could still trap food, even if all you had to hand was some wood and a knife, or even a piece of flint.

Time was now getting on for our first night out, so dinner was was arranged and duly scoffed.

Dscn5100.jpg

Dscn5105.jpg

Time to start turning in for the night, before the eldest turned in we sat there in front of the fire chewing the cud, when we heard a noise behind us, turned our headlights on and saw a toad sliding down the tarp, we followed it for a bit then let it be, also sat there listening to the owls.

Rscn5148.jpg

Natures TV

Rscn5149.jpg

Next morning, was just a chill out time, have a bit of breakfast, cup of coffee, sort a few things out etc, we started a slow, ok very slow pack up around lunchtime and eventually got home mid afternoon, not before totally cleaning away the fire and leaving the site as if nobody had ever been there

Dscn5140.jpg

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Looks like a nice spot and fun time by all. Glad to see im not the only one who likes a large stick pile within arms reach of the fire :D

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Looks like you had cracking time. Wish I had somewhere local to get out.

Next trip for myself and little'un will be end of September :cool:

A large log pile close by is a definite must :D

Andy

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Maver,

It looks lik you and the boys had a wonderful time. Nicely done with the site when you left if your boys grow up with that outlook on life there is hope for us all yet!

May I ask how you found your spot in the woods and went about getting permission etc? Need to do the same myself in Herts sometime soon.
Cheers,
Steve

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
May I ask how you found your spot in the woods and went about getting permission etc? Need to do the same myself in Herts sometime soon.
Cheers,
Steve

I made a few enquiries with farmers and landowners around the area, found out where the owner of the woods lived and literally went and knocked on his door one afternoon, it was a 50/50 chance, and lucky for me he said yes.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Sounds like the three of you had a great time! Hope to do the same if one day (in a very distant future) I have kids of my own...
Can't wait for my next trip now!

Cheers,
Lasse

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Sounds like the three of you had a great time! Hope to do the same if one day (in a very distant future) I have kids of my own...
Can't wait for my next trip now!

Cheers,
Lasse

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like some great woods and time had. Im looking forward to taking my daughter out proper camping when shes a bit older. She loves just being out and we've been on a few camping hols in a big tent as a family.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
What a great little camp look like boys had a rare old time.Think they will remember the thing skills you showed them and the time they had in the wood with dad for a very long time indeed.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
so the advantage of having kids is they are a good excuse to go on bonding camping trips then :)

Looks like a great wood to spend some quality time in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE