The Ultimate Nessmuk Set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
George Washington Sears 1821 – 1890) was a writer for Forest and Stream magazine and an early Bushcrafter / ultralight camper. His articles were written under the name, "Nessmuk", as were his books including the seminal work "Woodcraft and Camping"

This is the great man (note his bag with the knife in the back)

300px-Nessmuk_1873_b.JPG

This is his book

51CxVKPf1qL.jpg

which describes "The Nessmuk Trio" of axe, belt knife and pen knife. He illustrates his own set which took him a long time to get right

nessmuk_thumb2.jpg

Over an even longer period of time, I have tried to recreate the set (including the bag shown in the top photograph).

I suspect my quest was as long as his!

Here is the finished set I ended up with

Nessmuk Trio by British Red, on Flickr

The axe is made by Lee Reeves in the USA. It has a head made in the manner of old with a mild steel eye to absorb shocks and high carbon bits forge welded in to give a razor sharp cutting edge. The head is 5 1/2" by 2 1/2" and the axe 15" overall.

The axe weighs just over 1lb 2oz - just 522g. It is an amazingly light tool for such a capable axe. Lee made this axe with a "Nessmuk" designed head, with one edge thicker for cutting knots and other tough cutting chores and one thinner for precise cutting.

The helve as fitted is curly maple.

There are two complete spare handles in (IIRC) Hickory that I asked Lee to make, since the helves are unusual in design

There is a quality leather mask as supplied by Lee (with belt slits) and a "fast access" removable belt mask made for me by Singteck

Nessmuk Axe in mask (front) by British Red, on Flickr

Nessmuk axe in mask (rear) by British Red, on Flickr

The knife and bag were made for me by the man I consider the "master of Nessmuk" knives, Joel Delorme (after much nagging to make a faithful reproduction)

Nessmuk knife (left) by British Red, on Flickr

Nessmuk knife (right) by British Red, on Flickr

Joel's description is

4 3/4" blade 01 tools steel. 10" long overall. Blade is etched with ferric acid, I had to epoxy it into the handle so mixed so crushed Oak charcoal into it to make it look more "traditional", single brass pin riveted in place, probably not needed but looks nice anyway

I deliberately didn't polish the blade too much, and etched it with ferric acid, it look a bit mottled, just like it's had a bit of life!

The blade is 3 mm thick.

The sheath is 3mm veg tan leather, wet moulded, linen thread and riveted copper tacks

Nessmuk knife in sheath (front) by British Red, on Flickr

Nessmuk knife in sheath (rear) by British Red, on Flickr

The possibles bag is also by Joel Delorme and is based upon the designs for an 18thC hunting pouch found in the book "Recreating the 18th century hunting pouch". It has been adapted by Joel to match up with Nessmuks possibles pouch seen in the top engraving

The front is traditional

Nessmuk bag (front) by British Red, on Flickr

But the back has an extra buckle and retaining strap

Nessmuk bag (rear) by British Red, on Flickr

This allows the knife to be mounted on the back of the bag as seen in the top illustration and then worn between bag and body

Nessmuk bag with knife attached by British Red, on Flickr

To round out the set I'll include the (EDC legal) Rough Rider slipjoint that matches the illustration nicely - right down to the shield on the handle!

Rough Rider Nessmuk style penknife by British Red, on Flickr

The only reason I am selling is that I need to buy some bench tools for work I am doing regularly and need to raise funds for them.

Axe sold privately so knives and bag withdrawn :)

I will advertise the item elsewhere so if more than one person shouts "yes please" I will use the time and date stamp of the first private message I receive saying "I'll take it" as the winner :)

I though of adding something about how unique these items are - but I think they speak for themselves!

Red

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
After recent comments Red 1 I'm surprised your selling 2 I seem to remember a certain someone who must be counting all his pennies right now or thinking of robbing a bank!!!! 😉 lovely set, very unique and with a tie to history.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If only I had the money... I've craved that axe for such a long time.

I shall now go off to find a corner and sob quietly
bighanky.gif

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm surprised your selling

Health issues and lifestyle changes mean I don't get out for long term woods time like I once did, but I have plenty of time fabricating stuff around the homestead - so a different tool set would meet my needs better now - and hopefully get these lovely tools some more use :)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I understand when changes must mean sacrifices, that's a very coveted set by the two chaps above 😄 as read on other threads.... Perhaps they could club together and share!!?😉😄 it's a lovely set Red and very much worth there asking price IMO. GLWTS

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Perhaps they could club together and share!!?

Believe me, we've been discussing it as soon as Hugh posted the sale up.

Unfortunately neither of us have the money spare to even club together and buy them from Hugh.

It's even more galling for me because I have the money but just can't justify buying the full set whilst I don't have a job :(

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If I was a little (?) younger I'd walk barefoot up to your homestead to collect these! What a unique set for somebody to buy and use and cherish.

Good luck with the sale..............................

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I'll give you a kidney for them, actually I'll give you both as it would be worth it just to hold them while I gasp my last :goodnight:
Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE