The "Superknife" - A neat little toy or a serious tool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
*nods* Surplus stores on the island here don't have 'em. Still, it looks like an acceptable blade to put into a pocket survival tin. The only thing I've never liked about Derma razors is that the user can't change the blade. You either chuck it or use it dull.

Adam

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Gerber makes a similar one that is sold at Walmart here in the states. Its got a replaceable blade that screws off. Not all that hardy, but sharp as a, uh, razor ;)
They retail for about 5$ or so, and are small enough to add to a kit.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've a similar one that I use at work for opening boxes and such like. Wouldn't want to use it for bushcraft though.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
They are great for remodeling houses, craftwork, etc. For field use they are a specialty tool, but they excellent for things like cutting leather, spiral cuttingt rawhide strips, and stuff like that. I know of a couple of people that use the retractable razor knives for making some of the initial cuts on deer. The retractable razor knives allow you to do a fast, sharp cut of a pre-determined depth. I've tried it and it works well.

You can also get a variety of specialty blades such as hooks for linoleum that some use as gut hooks on game, but neither I nor anyone I know uses those at this time. There are also ones I've seen that are made with semi-circular notches sold in archery stores for scraping arrow shafts.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
addyb said:
I know, but don't you think it might have a place in a pocket survival tin?
Possibly a bit bulky for that purpose. Maybe a retractable craft knife would be smaller and lighter.
Please note that I dislike all folding knives though ;) .

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Hey guys

£10 in B&Q I picked up this little treasure theres a multitool adjustable spanner which will open to 21mm an ally torcy an excellant stanley blade folder and a dinky leatherman type (whick the misses nicked for her handbag).
In a very solid ally case - just a but big for a survival tin

P1010001.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

The damascus and curly birch woodie you have to make yourself - its there for scale only

cheers
Nick

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Yep. Folding knives without locks are dangerous, folding knives with locks aren't legal carry (without legitimate reason) in the UK so I can't see the point in any of them. They are weaker, heavier and more expensive to produce than a fixed blade of equal length.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I picked one of these up last year at my local hardware shop and it's great. So good in fact that I had to buy my dad one for Christmas :)
The only difference I can see to those alreay posted is that mine is a Rolson model and is blue. It is really sturdy and the blade does lock in the open position. The blades are standard Stanley type blades and are held in place very securely and there is a belt clip on the back.

It's interesting to see this post today as I was only using the knife earlier to cut some birch bark for making into containers. It's much more controllable for fine work than my bush knife.

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
I've got two of the rubberised ones and they are very good for small tasks. I wouldn't think they'd be good for survival use though, and they are not exactly small.
You'd be much better off with a SAK or an Opinel

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
This is the Gerber that "Oldsoldier" mentioned.

GerberEAB07web.jpg

GerberEAB01web.jpg

It's small, light, locks and it's cheap. The none cutting parts are all stainless steel.

The downside is that it's a Walmart special so it can only be bought in Walmart stores in the States, unless Asda decide to stock it.

However it can be bought on eBay but at a higher price. I was lucky enough to get one in a forum group buy. I've been very pleased with it. I have other "Stanley" knives but they are big, heavy, ugly and are aimed squarely at doing DIY jobs.

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
I've not seen that one before, that's very nice.

I wanted to use mine as an EDC, but soon found the small blade a pain to use for most things I'd normally do with my pocket knife. It was handy where there was a strong risk of damaging the blade.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
costco sell them in packs of three for about £15 i think ( sorry not sure on the price)
Im a member of costco and saw them or a similar type when i was wandering down the tool isles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE