The Stone Age Calculator Revised

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cameron

Mar 11, 2009
Stockholm
Hello my name is Cameron MacLeod and I am an artist from Canadian artist living in Stockholm.

My graduation exhibition is a project called The Stone Age Electronic Calculator and it is an experiment to see if it is possible to make an electronic calculator in the wilderness.
www.stonecalculate.com

A wiki website was created as a forum for peoples to participate in the creation of the
manual. I wanted to make this an online participatory project because the manual will be public property and I am interested in the possibility of applying open source ideology to subsistence living situations.
This is the second release of the website it has been streamlined to make it easier and funner for participants to contribute. 3 mindmaps have been added, and the contents have been reorganized to make contribution more efficent.

This is my artist statement for the project and as I see it reflects my central purpose in the project. I see other peoples having many different uses for the project which would not conflict with mine.

I am interested in comparing different periods of time in human history. Elements from contemporary and antiquated customs are mixed to develop alternate historical narratives. These narratives often represent areas of conflict between new and old ways of thinking and by fusing them together I question the possibility of reconciliation.

The Stone Age Electronic Calculator (SAEC) has been developed to question perceptions of modern computational instruments and therefore, information based societies in general by providing a instructional manual that restricts the building of an electronic calculator to the modes of physical production that were available during prehistoric times.

An online website with collaborative functionally is used as a tool to develop the manual as well as a device to examine if modern computational instruments can provide rapid information production for utilization in primitive societies.

The SAEC is an open ended public participatory project where by members of the pubic are free to exchange and edit its contents.

I welcome any contribution or input from any persons interested enough to participate.
If this breaks any of the rules of this site please let me know before closing the thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE