The shocking cost of knives in Italy !

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Morning all, just back from 8 days in Italy and as always i wanted a "local" knife as a momento but the cost of knives over there is HORRENDOUS !!

check this out.............

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Buck-Knives/Buck-Special/p-92-125-2482/

in Italy, the black handled one was........wait for it...........285 euros !! ( No 8 Opinals at 25 euro ! )

could'nt find any local styles, just the usual generic "international " stuff so came home knifeless :(

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
As part of practicing speaking Italian I skype every week with a (now) Italian friend. I will ask him about this. Seems odd given that hunting still goes on in Italy (I think)

By the way - anybody wanting to practice speaking any foreign language with a native speaker could do worse than try http://www.conversationexchange.com/

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SITE IS FOR PRACTICING ONLY - NOT LEARNING FROM SCRATCH. SO YOU NEED A BASIC LEVEL OF THE LANGUAGE BEFORE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO USE IT

It is free and because generally there will be more people wanting to learn English than English-speakers wanting to learn your chosen foreign language, you should be able to find a suitable conversee pretty quickly.

If anybody wants to know any more about my experince using it - been doing it for over a year now - drop me a PM and if possible I will help

Last edited:

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
:theyareon Robbi never, never buy a knife in a touristic place (like Garda lake), at least here in Italy.
If you want a "local" italian knife (we had a bounch of them, just different from region to region), buy through Coltelleria Collini (hope it is not an infringment, in case just let me know) here http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/conaz/index.html (they sell the Buck 119 at 89,00 euro btw, just as a paragon), or just ask me and I will try to help.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL ! i know that now Alfredo :)

thanks for the link, i'll have a look around. what i was looking for was something like a bone / horn handled stilletto.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i just came back from italy aswell, the only reference i had was opinel, but they were all really expensice, i checked, rome, florence, venice, cortona, mila, asisi

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I think maybe part of the problem is the exchange rate on the British pound, I moved to Europe a few months ago and I got jack for my UK savings compared to about 6 or 7 years ago when I moved to southern Ireland who also have the Euro.
I great example of this bad exchange rate is to look at how the falkniven F1 has crept up to almost double its price from just a few years ago in the UK.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I think maybe part of the problem is the exchange rate on the British pound, I moved to Europe a few months ago and I got jack for my UK savings compared to about 6 or 7 years ago when I moved to southern Ireland who also have the Euro.
I great example of this bad exchange rate is to look at how the falkniven F1 has crept up to almost double its price from just a few years ago in the UK.

I lived in southern Spain for quite some time, I feel your pain friend!

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
LOL ! i know that now Alfredo :)

thanks for the link, i'll have a look around. what i was looking for was something like a bone / horn handled stilletto.

There are a lot of Stiletto's style...had you a pic of what you mean? folding or fixed blade?

It's the same in France (apart from Opinels) - the high end or craftsman made knives are horrendously priced. There's a great little knife shop just off the Avenue de L'Opera in Paris, the window display features regional knives of France made by local craftsmen - not one was under €250 (a small folder - which looked pretty cheap). I was looking in horror at an ordinary looking hunting knife for €650 - when my girlfriend pointed out that my mouth had been open for an unnaturally long time!

I think that some of the makers on here could make a killing on the continent!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE