The Ray Mears Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Having recently found this site, and a might fine site it is, I have been studying the Ray Mears woodlore knife threads. I quite fancy the Alan Wood version but the apparent waiting time kills that idea. Having a few tradeable Spyderco knives I wonder if any of the people who appear to have Woodlore knives in drawers would like to trade them. Any takers?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You will probably be hard pressed to find someone with one they’re willing to part with. However, if you talk to Alan you will probably be able to come to some arrangement on one of his knives or he can make a knife for you. A few people on here have done that, Martyn for instance...It might be worth a try :?: Especially with AW woodlores selling for silly money these days :wink:

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
Hi DWH, sorry, but to be honest mate, I think you'll be VERY lucky to find a taker for you're offer.
There are a few reasonable alternatives to the Alan Wood Woodlore though. The wait for an Alan Wood knife is so long because he IS so good but there are alternatives to look at.
IF your looking at a Custom or Semi Custom then do a search on here or British Blades ( www.britishblades.com ) for U.S. makers Allan Blade, Mike Stewart and his Bark River North Star (I'm waiting for one of both). There are many truly excellent 'Pro-makers' and 'Hobbyist Makers' (too many to mention, in fact!) on British Blades who will make you a dependable and truly worthy knife (for example look at: http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5427 ) although if your heart is set on an Alan Wood then why not go for a production knife, like a Fallkniven F1 (an excellent knife, have had one myself for 2 years now and a few going s/h on BB at the 'mo!) or a Semi Custom like the BRKT North Star now and wait the 12 months or so for what you really want? From what I've been reading about the North star it may be all the knife you need anyway!!
Look around, try to handle as many knives as you can and get the feel of a style that suits your hand. There's many to be found!
Good luck!!! :D

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Take a look at what Shing is selling in the classified, every bit as good but because it isn't an RM much cheaper. Remember the RM is perfect for what Ray needs, it ,ay not be what YOU need!
Cheers
David

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Thanks everyone-The blade would be a present for my best man and I was prepared to swap more than one Spyderco for it. I've got a drop point Spyderco Moran myself which I rate but I will try for a Micarta Woodlore as after reading the posts seems to be the best production version. Any cheap Aussie Hootchies out there??

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Danceswithhelicopters said:
Thanks everyone-The blade would be a present for my best man and I was prepared to swap more than one Spyderco for it. I've got a drop point Spyderco Moran myself which I rate but I will try for a Micarta Woodlore as after reading the posts seems to be the best production version. Any cheap Aussie Hootchies out there??

Wouldn't the unique hand made item someone like Shing, Guycep, J Nielson and many others over on BB could do you for a very similar price make a better gift? I've had Shing and Guycep knives on display at my house last weekend and can assure you that the fit and finish from both of them is up with the very best.
Cheers
David

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Ah, I appreciate that but the difference in handing over a best quality handmade blade to my best man and one marked 'Ray Mears - Woodlore' is one will get 'Ooh thats sharp' and the other will be 'A Ray Mears Woodlore!! Cool'. Now if it was for me......
You can't buy friends but you can rent them cheap.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Danceswithhelicopters said:
Ah, I appreciate that but the difference in handing over a best quality handmade blade to my best man and one marked 'Ray Mears - Woodlore' is one will get 'Ooh thats sharp' and the other will be 'A Ray Mears Woodlore!! Cool'. Now if it was for me......
You can't buy friends but you can rent them cheap.
See what you mean, and I guess that is why there is a years wait for some of the RM knifes.
But if you'd seen the work of any of those guys though you'd know the reaction would be more like 'Wow, this is fantasic, never seen anything like it, it is just so brilliant, I just have to hold it/ play with it/ touch it' At least that was the reaction of several hundred non-knife freaks who saw Guy and Shings work as part of Wirksworth's art festival this weekend.
Almost every one of them went away agreeing that as well as functional knives they had seen may beautiful works of art.
Cheers
David (who wouln't sell his Guycep for twice the price of an Alan Wood Woodlore on ebay)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE