The "possibles" pouch.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bombadil

I've noticed everyone here always refers to a pouch full of useful stuff as a "possibles" pouch. It seems to have become a standard part of bushcraft patter.....what I'm wondering is, who first coined the term? :?:
I know Mr.Mears has a liking for it, and I have found it in a book which pre-dates any of his stuff by an author who's name escapes me. I always thought that the term is a little ambiguous, so I always refer to mine by the even more ambigous term of "ditty bag", (it has a more pleasing ring to it :hump: ).
Anyone else have a preference, or am I decending the slippery slope to analism? :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i believe that the term comes from old american mountain men who carried with in their possibles pouch all those most important things with make life in the wilderness possible!

but i could be wrong..

B

bombadil

Nice one, Tomtom....sounds plausible...... :biggthump
Any advances?

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Yes, as far as I know the term origanated with the mountain men. Bombadil, I havent heard the term ditty bag for a long time. My dad always carried a small ruck sack when we were hunting and thats what he called it.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
For curiousity since there are some similar terms around here, on an Australian swag, the small bag that hangs in front of the shoulder to balance the bedroll across your back is called a "dilly bag".

According to Richard Graves Bushcraft the dilly bag was traditionally a flour sack and along with the bedroll and a leather strap to fasten everything together was all you needed to carry your gear in the days before rucksacks.

B

bombadil

.....And is it just me, or do other people find that a ditty bag can just keep growing exponentially in content!?! Especially if you've got odd bits of cord, tinder, sharpening rods, or if you've just discovered "Starkies" (Cheers, Jake :shock: )
Mine's like a flippin' tardis, no matter what I stuff in it it always occupies the same amount of space in my pack

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
im always having to limit the ammont of books in mine lol.. as it is somewhat of a possibles bag!! when i find its getting to much stuff in i put those bit which i dont use often in my pack and free up some space!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
bombadil said:
.....And is it just me, or do other people find that a ditty bag can just keep growing exponentially in content!?!

Yup... Mine was full of allsorts and I'm toying with the idea of keeping most of my gear in the rucksack now and just having the essentials in this little jobbie I have lying around, and pop it on my belt.

possibles4kq.jpg

The Tikka is for scale.

Wadda ya think ?? :)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Corblimey! for my tenpennorth the Ditty bag was used for toting around the mariners daily work tools , spike,palm,fid,wax and whatever, while he was 'on-duty.

Duty (ditty) bag. He wasnt allowed below decks, during duty times.

Anyway, that was what mariners were always given to believe!

seagull

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
maddave said:
Yup... Mine was full of allsorts and I'm toying with the idea of keeping most of my gear in the rucksack now and just having the essentials in this little jobbie I have lying around, and pop it on my belt.

possibles4kq.jpg

The Tikka is for scale.

Wadda ya think ?? :)

I like it. I've been eyeing similar pouches on ebay. A perfect size for just the basics.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Maybe I'll get critisized for this, but this thread reminds me of some women I know and their handbags. It seems it is possible to get an entire modern life, including the office into one small bag which I suppose is an effect of the miniturisation of everything.

I tend to use my pockets for stuff, and it's always a nice surprise to find a tenner in one I'd forgotten about, unless I've just done the wahsing then it's ARRGH!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE