The perfect Bushcraft knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Sorry Red, curiosity got the better of me, had to look up O2, never heard of it before.

Oil hardening tool steel.

C 0.85-0.95
Mn 1.40-1.80
Si 0.50
Cr 0.35
Ni 0.30
Mo 0.30
V 0.30
Cu 0.25
P 0.03
S 0.03

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Martyn said:
What's O2 steel?
Its O1 tool steel typed by a bloke with dyslexic fingers (which I suspect you guessed?). Cant think about trig and metallurgy (Neither of which I really understand anyway) at the same time :)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Andy said:
yeh but the steel tends to come slightly under thickness. my calypso jr was meant to have 2.5mm thick steel but it was only 2.478mm

degree maths is so much less fun

I can't stop :D

Hmm now lets consider this for a mo

Sin 15 degrees (half angle) / 1.5mm (half depth) = hypotenuse (bevel depth)

1.5 / 0.2588 = 5.796mm

So accepting for a moment that the steel comes up thin ....about 1% in your example

1.485/0.2588 = 5.73mm

So if the steel comes up thinner should we round down to a 5.73mm bevel rather than 5.79mm?

:offtopic: :nana: :22: :sad6: :ban:

I'll stop now :D

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
British Red said:
Its O1 tool steel typed by a bloke with dyslexic fingers (which I suspect you guessed?). Cant think about trig and metallurgy (Neither of which I really understand anyway) at the same time :)

Red
:lmao:

No I didnt guess, I'd just not heard of O2 being used, I think it could be though I have no idea what kiind of knife it would make.

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
sal. said:
We're doing the math on a 30 degree Scandi on a 3mm thick blade.

sal

That would be just about perfect IMHO.

Some of the lads have got carried away with the sums I see... :rolleyes: :lmao:

How precise are your grinding jigs Sal? Can you do tenths of a mm?

Cheers,
Rod

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I visit British Blades less, as I'm trying to minimise my knife expenditure for going out into the woods type things.

So, OK, the axes, and the F1 were, of course essential, and I bought those for bushcraft.
I had a momentary lapse and bought a Military, L'il Temperance and a Police. RIght. No more folders. So now Sal's making a bushcraft FB. In *two* versions.

Give my wallet a break!
The design looks really nice so far; I'll be interested to see it in a sheath...

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Roefisher said:
The techno model will prolly be a plastic/resin based material, but are there any ideas or suggestions on the handle material for the traditional version knife ...

I like the naturally oily woods like cocobolo or rosewood. But, maybe curly birch or maple might be more popular?

Mark

Cocobolo might be the best bet, but some people are strongly alergic to it. Desert Ironwood is nice, but it's rare, expensive, proteced and not exactly eco-friendly. Perhaps Walnut or somesuch. There is no shortage of oily hardwoods in the US.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Martyn said:
Cocobolo might be the best bet, but some people are strongly alergic to it...

A very important point, Martyn ... here's a good explanation of possible problems ...

"There is no doubt that some woods can be potentially toxic to some people. The question is always one of "what degree". This cannot truly be answered. Each individual has different degrees of resistance, some more prone to allergic reactions, and others not so. Every day our knowledge of tree biology and chemistry grows, leaving us with more information, but also more questions. How all this relates to each individual is impossible to know. All we can say is "be cautious". Use new woods in a limited way, with proper respirators, until you know that it has no adverse reaction with your body.

Toxicity can mean a lot of different things to different people so here are some basic ideas:

Natural Chemical Poisons:
This normally refers to chemicals produced by the tree. It has been suggested that these chemicals originated as part of the tree’s natural defense system against insect and other animal attack. They tend to be present in higher concentration in the sap, bark and foliage of the tree, and to a much lesser extent in the trunk. For example, the foliage of black cherry contains a precursor of cyanide, but yet we work with the wood with little difficulty. Woods that are naturally oily, even after kiln drying are much more likely to cause an allergic reaction, just because the wood’s oil can transfer onto your skin more easily and enter the blood stream. The reaction can range from that of a mild irritant, to something that is truly toxic and lethal, although the latter is very rare."

My own opinion is stick with Cocobolo and give out rubber gloves to anyone in doubt :D

Mark

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
Martyn said:
Cocobolo might be the best bet, but some people are strongly allergic to it. Desert Ironwood is nice, but it's rare, expensive, produced and not exactly eco-friendly.

I agree w/ Martyn on the Desert Ironwood. Looks very nice but will add to the price of the knife and is harder to get. Cocobolo is easy to get, looks nice, great for durability, and cost less.

I myself have a slight allergy to cocobolo (break out in hives on my skin) but only when I am working/sanding it. Once I have the handle done and treated it dosen't bother me. I can even handle a untreated block and that really doesn't affect me.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a strong liking for Ironwood myself failing that burr oak would look nice. Dark browns or reds I feel (not olive wood or anything Ikea like please). I'm not wild on walnut unless you get real exhibition grade stuff.

Red

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Marts said:
Desert Ironwood :)

isnt there/wasnt there some bans on the collecting desert iron wood as it is becoming quite rare.. i dont think the use of rare/endangered tree species fits well with the bush craft ethic

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
This is why I think the knife should be offered in a kit form or as a finished blade/sheath option. That way each knife is individual to its owner and in some ways the most important way the handle fit. We all tweak cutting edges to our own taste so long as we are happy with a basic grind type, if not happy we don't buy. But there tends to be more complains and niggles about handles and there shape/fit rather than for aesthetic reasons

Dave.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
I really like curly birch (and other light coloured woods).

I have seen a poll for the grind. Maybe a poll for handle material?

Split it in two:
Wood (curly birch,...)
Synthetic (kraton,...)

Make two knives: one with the most chosen synthetic handle and one with the most chosen wood handle.

Or is that not possible?

Bjorn

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bjorn,

I think Sals plan is to make a "traditional" knife and a "Hi tec" version so yes both are possible. Not sure how to list all the woods though or whether sal has one im mind?

sal???? Do you have a preference for handle material?

Red

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
Bjorn Victor said:
I really like curly birch (and other light coloured woods).

I have seen a poll for the grind. Maybe a poll for handle material?

Split it in two:
Wood (curly birch,...)
Synthetic (kraton,...)

Make two knives: one with the most chosen synthetic handle and one with the most chosen wood handle.

Or is that not possible?

Bjorn

That is a good idea IMO. Red do you think you could set up a poll?

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Good evening "O Red One", :D

some tips:

List 6 or 7 easy to find, common wood sorts (birch, maple, ...), but nothing too exotic (read: expensive) or illegal or something that causes allegies (like cocobolo does, so it seems).

List 4 or 5 five synthetic types that are easy to manipulate. I'm not an expert, but many knives have kraton, thermorun,...

No bone or horn for reasons of animal wellbeing. (just my opinion...)

What is micarta? I see it a lot, but have no idea what it is... :eek: :eek:
It should be in the list though.

This will also help.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=10436

Bjorn

EDIT: It's also up to Sal of course. :You_Rock_

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE