The people who think its ok to do industrial foraging,not good

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I'm not a fan of proffesional foragers who go out and forage mushrooms to inhuman numbers often charging a fortune often in big groups ,not only mushrooms iv seen mussell beds stripped bare ,snails almost wiped out locally, all manner of flora and fauna it should be illegal there shud be limits even for mushrooms one shud adere to

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not a fan of proffesional foragers who go out and forage mushrooms to inhuman numbers often charging a fortune often in big groups ,not only mushrooms iv seen mussell beds stripped bare ,snails almost wiped out locally, all manner of flora and fauna it should be illegal there shud be limits even for mushrooms one shud adere to

And what limits would they be?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
a. Lb perhaps no more than that we have limits for fish do why not plants ect , the UK is tiny compared to america

Its definitely tiny compared to America - I just wonder how these regulations and laws would/could (?) be enforced?

Also , if I find a lot of some seasonal glut in one area am I then only allowed to harvest it once? What if i return in a couple of weeks and see its no longer at its best and no one else seems likely to make use of it? Can I harvest more?

As ever - The Devil is in the ( realistically enforceable ) detail.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It is for example OK in Germany to forage a little bouquet of flowers or other plants if they aren't especially protected.

A little basket of mushrooms for immediate consumption is tolerated as well. Or similar small sizes.

We don't interdict to teach the children the old skills and nice behaviour. But otherwise you have to leave everything in forest and field where it is unless you are a farmer on the own ground or work in your own garden.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Here you go - Theft Act 1968.
The bit you need is in Section 4 Sub-Section 3:

'A person who picks mushrooms growing wild on any land, or who picks flowers, fruit or foliage from a plant growing wild on any land, does not (although not in possession of the land) steal what he picks, unless he does it for reward or for sale or other commercial purpose.'

If you collect to sell (presumably any amount) then you've broken the law.
The trick will be proving the person intends to sell, and I imagine that will be down to the interpretation of the court and any evidence.
But commercial foraging is illegal in the UK.

P.S. Looks like they can't spell 'carcass' correctly in Sub-Section 4...

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Its definitely tiny compared to America - I just wonder how these regulations and laws would/could (?) be enforced?

Also , if I find a lot of some seasonal glut in one area am I then only allowed to harvest it once? What if i return in a couple of weeks and see its no longer at its best and no one else seems likely to make use of it? Can I harvest more?

As ever - The Devil is in the ( realistically enforceable ) detail.
nothing is enforced in the UK you can easily get away with a lot of things ,but most people obey laws if there there

• Haha
Reactions: Kepis

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Licensed pickers here get exclusive territories to harvest in commercial quantities.
Much of the fern fiddlehead/crozier crop for sale in Paris actually comes from just east of Prince George, BC. Goes out of YXS air freight to the global market.

As a ritual of spring, I'll hobble around and pick a couple dozen, one from each fern, just for a single feed, that's it for the year for me.

Much the same system applies to commercial mushroom harvest, despite the violence and piracy/theft.

Your system is all upfucculated by a base layer of land ownership. Very little here.
A logging company is required to have some sort of a tree farm harvesting license.
They have no control over anything else on that land base. Imagine being knee deep in 3 species of Vaccinium wild blueberries, maybe a square mile of it.
Imagine how good the grouse are that spend weeks feeding on those blueberries.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nature can recover but how many deaths or serious injuries recover from speeding?

It's this whole lack of sticking to the rules right across society that's the problem. We're too much into our own little worlds to care about others or other things quite as much as we should.

For you organised, commercial foraging seems perhaps more important than doing a few mph over the speed limit in town because you're late or just because that's how you drive. I see it's worse the other way around. But it's the same issue. Somebody always thinks there's no harm doing what they are doing. If you don't get caught that's OK right?

Reactions: Toddy and Wayland

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Everyone speeds I just don't like people who make a living off foraging that take stupid amounts from the land

Forgive me - my sentiments are with you , I was however just attempting to illustrate a point.

Laws are only pragmatic and useful IF they are enforced and acted upon on a regular basis.

You are right , everyone speeds - now think about all the manpower and technology and process / implications that are put in place to stop speeding. Yet we all still speed.

And only a small percentage ( although I personally seem to be taking a hit for the home team far more than many... ) get caught.

Now think how enforceable and practical it would be to try and stop people foraging on a large scale in remote areas for commercial benefits.

Police these days seem to be either getting defunded or directed to spend their valuable real world time patrolling the cyber internet rooms to ensure those whom are offended and hurt by the violence of words get the justice that they deserve and the perp convicted.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We don't all speed btw. Just like we don't all forage for a business or strip areas of edible foods to sell to restaurants.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not any more. I've got a camper as my main vehicle. It's a chilled out life obeying the speed limits.

I've got a manual speed limiter and a cruise control. I use them whenever safe to do so.

But you're right, I do speed. My cruise control isn't the best so occasionally it shows 1mph over the speed limit on hills until it recovers back to the speed setting. However most car makes supposedly set the speedo showing slightly higher than reality so perhaps that's really not speeding, I wouldn't know for sure.

There's actually quite a few people like me who make a conscious decision to change their driving style. At first it isn't easy but everyone can improve despite motoring culture being about getting everywhere fast.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE