The Old Whisperlite, Where to get parts?

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
After all these years the wick from my '96 MSR Whisperlite has given up the ghost.

Does anyone here how I can get a new one (wick) for it?

Thanks

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
According to this you may not even need one!
If you are burning kerro then take paper handkerchiefs.
I only use stick stoves or low pressure alcohol (Trangia) but the handkerchief idea in this link is how I start my Trangia when it gets cold.

Reactions: matarius777

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Have you tried MSR distributor in the UK they might hold spares for it?
That thing you are talking about can be fashioned out of a bit of fiberglass woodstove door seal and a bit of copper wire.
My Optimus 8 has this Bodge tied into the small cup at the base of the burner and it does exactly the same job.
Do you use it with white gas or paraffin because you can get away without it if you use white gas.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
According to this you may not even need one!
If you are burning kerro then take paper handkerchiefs.
I only use stick stoves or low pressure alcohol (Trangia) but the handkerchief idea in this link is how I start my Trangia when it gets cold.
Yep, I read it.

I still like to find one, because it came with one, I know this is no reason, but imagine you are somewhere, and you run out of white gas, and need to switch to kero...

BTW, what a clever way to find parts. with those diagrams!

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I can understand exactly why you would want to fit OE. You must have developed your own way of using your stove long ago.
It’s part of the trip.

I’m the opposite, I love old, battered, burned and dinged kit. Burn kerro? Twist paper handkerchiefs or a couple of pieces of toilet roll into a spill. Tie it around your burner. Splash it with a drop of fuel and ignite.

Good luck with the proper part.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE