The Natural World

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Wow...did anybody catch the natural world last night all about ants...crikey...respect to the little crawlies!!! Jackjumpers in Tazmania (outrageously vicious beaties with VERY potent venom) Bulldogs in Oz (practically the size of houses...HONEST), Drivers in Africa (that will attempt to chew their way through anything)... :yikes:

they make structures with their bodies, ladders that others climb up and over, it was amazing! Talk about living breathing architecture.

:super:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I don't like the thought of being drowned by ants filling my lungs so that once I'm dead they can eat me, think that must be the worst form of predator you could encounter.

leon-1

Yep very interesting program, he trials they did on the venom of the JackJumpers was very interesting. NATURALLY AGGRESSIVE :yikes:

Also the way the locals live with the Siafu in Africa was interesting. Upto 20 million in a nest, will attack anything, blind, work of sense of smell and can strip a carcass to the bone in 24hrs, not sure if I would want them as neighbours, yet again viscious little blighters :shock:

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I didn't see the program :banghead: but have had an encounter with fire ants in the U.S., very very painful. The strangest ant I have ever seen were matabele ants in zim, each one about half the size of your small finger. They make a clicking sound so you can hear them before you see them. There is a pic about half way down this link.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE