The msr Titan kettle and trangia triangle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Was thinking now I've got my dehydrator I want to slim up my cookset. I've been looking about a fair bit at titanium stuff and have pretty came to the conclusion I want something meths based still. I've seen the ever new cook set and it really really light but wastes heat around the sides and pretty much can't control the heat. Then I saw the trangia triangle. Has anyone got any experience with these? At 115grams I thinks it's pretty good and all in will weigh about 426grams as my 25 weighs in a 870.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a look at the Trail Designs Caldera Cones, they're about as efficient as it gets with meths stoves.

I had the trangia triangle in a cook kit, but there is a slight issue with it. I was using the 10cm zebra, and the diameter was too small to fit on the triangle. This will also be a problem if you are cooking in a small diameter mug (lightweight). I much prefer the honey stove as it's more versatile allowing wood burning as well. 4 sided version is only 171g (compared to 120g of triangle), and the smaller footprint allows for smaller mugs/pots.

If your looking at Ti pots, check out the stuff from toaks. Might be an issue to get to the UK, but they are at a great price point. My 1300ml bail handle pot is enroute.

Also, if you are considering lightweight, consider swapping the trangia burner for a pop can stove. They only weigh like 10g compared to the 67g of the trangia without cover or simmer ring (121g with both of them)!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love my Tangia Triangle but had the same issue as The Max above but overcame this by using a mesh grill from an old PC fan. Now works a treat and way lighter than my Honey Stove which doesn't go out anymore.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I use the Click-Stand, which I think is the same as the triangle, more or less. I use my Ti mug to boil up water for tea, and it's too small for the triangle. So I carry two straight pieces of wire - coat-hanger wire - and lay these across. It's stable and very light. Also works for the Vargo Bot.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Yea I wondered about the size but I've looked at the options and it fits most pots 9cm base or bigger. So by the sounds of it it's not a bad idea then providing the pot fits decently.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
to be honest something as narrow as the msr kettle isn't going to be all that efficient with the Trangia Burner, as that works best with wider pots. The vargo triad is more efficient with small things. Not trying to put it down, only someone said earlier.

I may get a trangia triangle and use it with an eight piece cut down folding windshield, like the look of them. Do you know of any other real lightweight trangia holders that you've found on your search ?

Also is the little rim on the trangias outside meant for pre-heating ?

Edit.

Also the open spirit stove, basically a good version of the mini trangia.
www.campsaver.com/open-spirit-stove-kit

Last edited:

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
to be honest something as narrow as the msr kettle isn't going to be all that efficient with the Trangia Burner, as that works best with wider pots. The vargo triad is more efficient with small things. Not trying to put it down, only someone said earlier.

I may get a trangia triangle and use it with an eight piece cut down folding windshield, like the look of them. Do you know of any other real lightweight trangia holders that you've found on your search ?

Also is the little rim on the trangias outside meant for pre-heating ?

Edit.

Also the open spirit stove, basically a good version of the mini trangia.
www.campsaver.com/open-spirit-stove-kit

I really like the vargo triad. Can't find a source in the uk though only the states. :( I've got a wind shield of sorts. Would prefer that because of weight.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
mepe7u2e.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE