The Month of December

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
mushrooms are everwhere, snow brews, quinzes, loads of deer (round here they seem too tired to leg it after the rut), game season is up and running so go get dinner, badger watching - thats the outside stuff.

Inside stuff - roaring fire, whittling, reading up on what to look for in spring :)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Some nice suggestions here, perhaps I should also put some due care and attention into looking for 12 drummers drumming, 11 pipers piping, 10 lords-a-leaping, 9 ladies dancing, 8 maids-a-milking, 7 swans-a-swimming, 6 geese-a-laying, 5 gold rings, 4 calling birds, 3 french hens, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree?

However, is December really quite an empty month in terms of things to do and look out for in the wilderness

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
whatever the month, I have rabbit control on a couple of permissions,and of course, theres always the odd pheasant or partridge,canadian goose, have some sloe's and damsons in the freezer that I really need to get into some booze, vodka,whiskey?, another trip out crayfishing is definatly on the cards before the end of the year, and Id like to get into mushroom foraging, but have no idea on that matter, so don't want to poison myself

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
A christmas wreath, that sounds a nice pleasant thing to do.

I'll definitely take a camera out, see if I can scout out and photograph some mushrooms that hopefully I will be able to later identify them from using a book. I'll keep my eye out for deer on my travels.

Crayfishing sounds great, would love a nice tasty Crayfish and Rocket salad. I understand you need to apply for permission to catch crayfish or am I incorrect. I have a trap, but no permission. I guess they do this to crack down on those not being able to tell the difference between the native and non-native species?

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Got to go find a yule log to burn. Wander around until you find a log that "calls" to you.

Well, that's my excuse for having to go out into the woodlands so much!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE