The learning curve (with pics)

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I spent a quiet afternoon trying out some new kit and practising a little woodcraft over the weekend. I went to a local valley that has a nice bit of mixed woodland (a relative scarcity round here).

6883757546_77623ff2cd_z.jpg

Spring was most definitely in the air and the birdsong was tremendous.

I slipped off the popular main road/path and into the woods to a lesser used area

6883767134_3499da497d_z.jpg

Unfortunately due to the terrain there isn't a particularly wide stretch of usable woodland to set up in but it's close enough to home and a very pleasant part of the world.

I am very much the beginner when it comes to bushcraft and am definitely time poor also. So whatever opportunities I get I grab with both hands. This trip I wanted to try out my little hobo stove and a new BCB cup with hanger and lid. I also received a Mora knife at Christmas and wanted to test this against my old Helle model. It was also going to be nice to use the Bacho saw outside the garden for once!

So I rolled a convenient log into place and had a sit down to begin some carving

7029858285_0841ba1cd6_z.jpg

7029858431_0593faaf1e_z.jpg

Once done, gathered up some wood

7029858605_56c63eeba6_z.jpg

and got a cosy little fire going

6883758840_a3e139c87f_z.jpg

And then got some soup on the go to compliment the fine handmade sandwiches I had with me :D

7029867257_e6bdbf4585_z.jpg

A very simple afternoon in the woods, but a first for me with pothook cooking etc.

A few lessons I learned and I'd appreciate any feedback or thoughts;

• My Mora was factory sharp and this was better than my previous efforts with the helle. It demonstrated very effectively the value of having a very sharp blade when it comes to carving.
  • I had the Bahco saw and this proved very good and much quieter than an axe which was useful being in relatively close proximity to a path.
  • The BCB Crusader Cup makes a passable billy-can but the lid kept falling into the soup, so a 10cm billy would be infinitely better.
  • The hobo stove is a great little companion, but would be easier to use if raised off the ground by a foot or so.
  • The Norwegian surplus bag is fine for the price, the straps squeak a little when walking. But the size means the flap makes a great table for resting a knife and other light things within hand reach.
  • For the hobo stove you can't have enough thumb thickness wood available to keep it going, it's easy to focus on the smaller stuff to get things going, but in dry weather this doesn't take long.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Nice set up - very similar to mine - I have a crusader and a 10cm billy, and for me the billy wins out for convenience (I carry a small tin mug too which I can heat in the embers if I'm in a hurry.) The bahco saw is brilliant, but an axe is more fun :)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Looks good!
You got out, practised and learned, which is all that matters.
As for the squeeking; you might want to treat the learher with grease or something similar, making it smoother, so there's less friction. It also increases the lifespan of the leather itself.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great write-up and good photos Qwerty.
The BCB cup lid gets mixed reviews, not only for falling in (as you have found) but it has a tendency to suffer in the flames of an open fire. You can make your own from aluminium to fit over the lip instead of inside it.

Some people drill two small holes where the cup hanger goes and fit a flexible bale arm made from bicycle brake cable - with or without hooks so it can be removed.

It might also be worth getting two old tent pegs and using them as a grille on top of the hobo stove to put the cup onto rather than having to make a hanger.

Great that you got out there doing it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Thanks lads for all the kind words and advice! :)

@Ron, I was wondering about treating the straps to stop the squeak, I was thinking along the lines of an oil or wax, but I'll look into your grease suggestion.

@Ogri, The bicycle brake cable sounds like an excellent mod, I'll have to give it a go. I never thought about the plastic melting, but can see how easily it would happen. I have two tent pegs in reserve for the stove, but just wanted to try my hand at a pot hanger this time.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Good job man.

Would second the wire bale idea mate, those solid steel handles are useless for bus q shcraft involving cooking rigsllkk
lll
aq
With a bale you can employ the pot bale notch. that type of hanger should be able to swing in all directions quite a lot before you lose your dinner

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Great little post fella , I was prepping the chicken run an strimmin the plot this weekend, never got chance to make a brew or have a whittle . Good on yer. :cool:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Great post, I love hobo stoves, for cooking they're infinitely more convenient and eco friendly than a fire.

Looks like you had fun :)

R3XXY

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The plastic lid comes into its own as a "sipper lid" to help keep hot drinks hot and spill free as you walk and drink.... if you dont tend to do that then I would replace it with a home made external fitting lid! :)
I love my Crusader cup (s - I have more than one!) but the plaggy lid either falls in, wedges in or melts if you use it as a cooking lid...
I like the idea of the blue knife ... I guess Orange or Green could be contentious in Ireland :)
It looks like you had a good day out!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE