The Last Alaskans.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
THE LAST ALASKANS -ANIMAL PLANET LINK. 8 EPISODES.

In 1980, the U.S. government banned new human occupation in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, a protected area, home to thousands of native animals and pristine terrain spanning roughly the size of South Carolina. Currently, only a handful of families spread across seven permitted cabins are allowed to remain in the refuge. Within less than 100 years, all remaining permits will reach expiration, and there will be no human presence left.

THE LAST ALASKANS, S01,E01. NO MANS LAND

THE LAST ALASKANS S01,E02 THE HUNTED

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If children are born to those folk with permits while there will they be forcably removed?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I think that is sad. Conservation is fine but, as in this country, I do wonder how much real feeling those who impose these rules have for nature and heritage. Aren't the dwellers there part of the ecology?

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
Hiemo Korth has featured in a couple of excellent documentaries on the website below (it is an unusual site but has some gems)

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/video/heimos-arctic-refuge-1-of-5

Not in relation to Alaska, there is also the series about 'Agafia in the Taiga' on there which shows lessons in enduring hardship with incredible grace.

In addition to OP's programme links these make great watching

MOD's WARNING: - The link takes you to Vice which can have some questionable content that you may not want to open up at work or with little kids around. The video above seems a good watch though. Sorry for adding this in Greeny but we've had problems with some of this sites content before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
Sorry about that Goatboy, never knew that have only gone direct to their wilderness stuff and didn't know they had dodgy stuff too.
Thanks for the heads up...........Being in education that's one to avoid at work !

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I wasn't giving you a warning just worried in-case someone went there and their IT department was as paranoid and Spanish Inquisition like as the company I used to work for. :D

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
No offence taken mate, I'm actually an Inquisitor so it's one for the lock-down list haha (safeguarding and all that)

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
rik_uk3 that's the video that led me to that website......... Love how it's done in such an understated way, and that man cooks some serious steaks :D

There's nothing new with removing native inhabitants from newly created 'natural reserves'.

The Americans did it in Yellowstone when that place was turned over to wildlife. The local first nation tribes who occupied the land for a long time were evicted.

Many places in Africa now have animal/wildlife reserves where local native inhabitants are now banned from hunting and gathering in these places where they've lived for many hundreds of years or more. Its happening now to Saan/Bushmen people in south west africa.

http://www.survivalinternational.org/ promote tribal rights across the world. If you only take a quick look at this website you'll see how bad things are. Those who choose to live in houses don't like those who choose to live as part of nature and be part of the natural order of things.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was wondering when that point would come up :)

Do People not belong in nature ? I firmly attest that they do. There's a vast difference between minimal use and over exploitation, and who better to safe keep the land than the people who live there ?
Thing is though, those folks don't bow to planning departments and 'Human Resource' managers or NGO's and quangos.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's nothing new with removing native inhabitants from newly created 'natural reserves'.....

I was wondering when that point would come up :)

Do People not belong in nature ? I firmly attest that they do. There's a vast difference between minimal use and over exploitation, and who better to safe keep the land than the people who live there ?....M

Yes but from what I've watched on the link the people in question are NOT indigenous or native peoples. They're settlers or homesteaders and the goal is to reverse homesteading.

I might succumb to a conspiracy theory that it's a political maneuver to slow growth of the Alaskan population (and thus restrict their representation in the congress) since traditionally, homesteading lead to the growth in every state. However it seems unlikely that anybody (any potential conspirist) could predict which party that might benefit.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Indigenous or not doesn't matter. For me it is not conspiracy but the problem of having people in charge of natural and historical resources who do not understand them. They will have read the books and attended the courses but have no feeling for that they are responsible for. Would seem odd to equate the emptying of part of Alaska with the possibility of building a bypass tunnel for Stonehenge, partly to prevent people looking at it as they pass as they have done for thousands of years but the motives are the same. To regulate, to tidy up, to compartmentalise.

Incidentally, I wonder how high a population that part of Alaska will actually have, of Rangers, Scientists etc. rather than of people simply living there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE