The joys of charity shop treen and chemistry sets....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The middle son was volunteered into walnut oiling all the wooden bowls I've picked up in charity shops for between 50p and a pound over the years, less the big kuska I got from the States and a pine burl bowl we had as a Wedding present from one of herselfs Canadian relations.

image_zps02ef9f6f.jpg

I'd picked up the six delicate bowls top right yesterday. I say 6 as one got crushed by a slippery falling bowl and is now waiting to be cut down to remove the area that was snapped off. Still there's only 5 of us so no biggy.

However what I'm here to am about is are there any useful for bushy crafts such as dyeing chemicals in your old school chemistry sets. I picked this one up for the princely sum of 50p (yes 10 bob)

image_zps51f705b4.jpg

A newspaper inside the box was dated 1978 but all the chemicals seam to be dry and as not lumped together. Th
e tubes are glass not like in modern sets. There's a full tube of logwood which is the main reason I bought it but are there any other useful chemicals in a old fashioned set like this ? ( I suspect half the contents are now banned from a kids "toy" ) . I've previously picked up a couple of more modern sets for the kids for under 3 quid a pop and have plenty more unwanted sets in charity shops and on carboots. For us on tight budgets and often needing only small amounts of chemicals these seam a good source, if they have the right stuff in. I bet some would be good for dramatic throwing through the flames of the fires while story telling at the very least, I hope they don't include anything that toxic!?

i can get a minion to make a list of whats in it if there's any chemistry buffs out there willing to comment?

atb

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea on the safety of "flame testing" but theres some useful stuff in them no doubt - sulphur, copper sulphate, alum all sorts of stuff thats handy. I do buy kilo bags of chemicals still, so feel free to drop me a note if you need more of a certain item (I don't keep many - just the generally useful ones)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I wish the charity shops around here had cool stuff like that, they are all the mainstream one, more like regular shops:(

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Yeah I also wish my charity shops had decent stuff like that..all seems to be crappy looking clothes and crockery..occasionally find the odd gem though, however I massively tend to stick to the antique shops..

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If you want magnesium I still have chunks of it salvaged from a big central heating system, there was a 3 foot long rod, about a inch diameter is left, which we cut up into sections. The saw dust i mixed in with some vaseliune and cotton wool tinder, good stuff for lighting fires with damp wood.

ATb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE