The Invisible Nation NFB Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The Invisible Nation.

Another good one from the NFB Canada [Watch it in 720p Hi-Def]

Some really interesting archive footage. Black and white.

Kind of a history of how, the British ruling classes stole Canada from the Indian nations, and where they ended up.

[Hey if its any consolation to our indian brothers, they did exactly the same thing to us, stealing tens of millions of acres of common land, during successive inclosures acts, evicting villages, committing people to starvation, and murder, then wiped it from the collective national memory. Land which had been strip farmed for centuries.]

Something the national trust, England largest private landlord, dont talk about when you visit the stately homes, with their 'tea towel' image's.

[Look up 'open field system', 'medievel strip farming' 'general inclosures acts' if you're interested.]

** some might find controversial viewing**

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
"Online release: November 30, 2012 The Algonquin once lived in harmony with the vast territory they occupied. This balance was upset when the Europeans arrived in the 16th century. Gradually, their Aboriginal traditions were undermined and their natural resources plundered. Today, barely 9,000 Algonquin are left. They live in about 10 communities, often enduring abject poverty and human rights abuses. These Aboriginal people are suffering the threat to their very existence in silence. Richard Desjardins and Robert Monderie have decided to sound the alarm before it's too late."

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall

The enclosures are well-known to anyone interested in history. The fact that people do not continually chew over old grievances is a sign of maturity rather than any nonsense of things being wiped from communal memory. Strip farming and continual sub-division of farming plots meant that the peasants of many countries descended into abject poverty over time. The enclosures were unjust and in the past. Enclosures did mean a future for agriculture.

The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
But leaves the greater villain loose
Who steals the common from off the goose

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The fact that people do not continually chew over old grievances is a sign of maturity rather than any nonsense of things being wiped from communal memory.

Are we name calling now? Cheeky :censored:

Why have you censored the rest of the 17th century prose?

Apparently this bits too immature for you is it? I see...

The law demands that we atone
When we take things we do not own
But leaves the lords and ladies fine
Who takes things that are yours and mine.

The poor and wretched don’t escape
If they conspire the law to break;
This must be so but they endure
Those who conspire to make the law.

And geese will still a common lack
Till they go and steal it back.

If youre going to quote something please do so in full.....and try not to sound so condescending eh?

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Prose? Seems like a song or a poem. Just an extract
If you are too lazy to look up the rest here it is. Easy to find as it hasn't been censored or wiped from the communal memory. If the Cap of Liberty fits wear it.

The law demands that we atone
When we take things we do not own
But leaves the lords and ladies fine
Who take things that are yours and mine

The poor and wretched don't escape
If they conspire the law to break
This must be so but they endure
Those who conspire to make the law

And geese will still a common lack
Till they go and steal it back
[Seventeenth century protest against English enclosures]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
First guy in over ten years of membership Im putting on ignore, because i'll get banned if I tell him where to stick something.
Actually no point in putting you on ignore, as I can see your posts when Im not logged in.

The fact that people do not continually chew over old grievances is a sign of maturity

So you would say that to the filmmakers, and all the indian tribes who had their land nicked, and in fact, anyone who has had a crime committed against them in the past, however grevious it may be?

Shut up and go away is your answer then? Stop being so immature?

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm sorry, but is this thread about a general vilification of the rich (the definition of rich meaning anyone with more money than you) or a plea for 17th century moral values - it's all a bit confusing!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Some guy who probably works for the national trust has his back up maybe?

Im out now, or Im gonna say something I regret and get banned....TTFN.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave, edited post!

If youre talking about post number 4, I edited it at 10:17, before you posted yours at 10:19.

If youre talking about post 6, yes I edited that, but seeing as you made no response after post 6, i fail to see what difference it makes.

If you wan tot know why i edited post 6, its because i told you what i though of you.

Mods, any mods, please can you delete this thread, as its going nowhere, and as far as im concerned this guy is on a wind up.

Thankyou.

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The point I was making that nobody has blanked out our history of past wrongs. Rather, in the past they got on with making the best of where they were so tried to improve factory working conditions and their housing, education and health. A long hard struggle but not hampered by grudges about how grandfather was pushed off his land by enclosures.There is another element to indigenous rights in that they have been revived and expanded in many countries, see the worries that New Zealanders have about developing Maori claims to shores and foreshore for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE