The Hunters Compass

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In mountain country I usually carry a Silva baseplate compass. It is great for taking a bearing from the map, finding your position by resection, etc.

Thinking about it a bit more, I realised that I only used the compass this way occasionally in the mountains, and not at all in woodland or at lower level. There, the main use of a compass is a quick glance to check my approximate heading, or to orientate the map. A pin on compass would do fine.

Silva make one, and it is apparently NATO issue and I'm sure very good. But I am a traditionalist, and fancied one of the century-old Marble's models in brass. Teddy Roosevelt had one, as did Admirals Perry and Byrd in the Antarctic, and they have also been pinned to flying jackets in every American conflict since WW2.

Alternatively, the Tru-Nord pin on compass, although only 70 years old was allegedly better made. So I bought both. In fact, I bought three. :rolleyes:

ebay2032.jpg
[/IMG]

On the left is the Tru-nord, made in Brainerd, Minnessota http://www.trunord.com/ The clip that attaches to the jacket is certainly more robust and reliable. It is slightly clearer to read. It is not damped but settles quickly. It is heavier than the other two. It feels solid enough that you will want to put it in your will.
You can ask for it to be compensated so it points true north for your location. It can be recalibrated at low cost if the magnetic deviation changes. I prefer to allow for variation myself, and requested mine for no magnetic compensation.

In the centre is the current production Marbles model http://www.marblescutlery.com/compass/index.html , that is only around $15 - about £8 plus shipping. It is CNC machined in China. It has a brass safety pin that is slightly loose. The compass is liquid filled and very well damped. it is therefore waterproof. In fact you can unscrew the compass and remove the capsule.

Finally, on the right, is an original Marbles, made in Gladstone, Michigan and dating to approximately 1950s/1960s. It is noticeably better made than the new ones. It is not damped. It works perfectly - however I have heard that some have worn bearings and can get a bit sticky. About $22 or £12 plus shipping on ebay.

As to which is best - well, I have the modern Marbles on my buoyancy aid - for canoeing you need a damped compass. The old Marbles has a dull patina and I wear it on the jacket I use for stalking. If I am just 'outdoors' them my choice is the Tru-nord. They are really beautifully made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE