The Hoodoo Voodoo Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
R

rlinger

Just finished this one for Hoodoo. He gave the design for it so I name this one after him. The wood is stabilized big leaf maple. Blade steel is CPM S30V at about 59 - 59.5 HRc. It is Scandi - zero edge. Thanks for looking.

Here are the specs: http://riflestocks.tripod.com/pics37.html

hv1.jpg

hv2.jpg

hv3.jpg

hv4.jpg

RL

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
That is one piece of beautiful knife. I really like the look of it, it looks aggressive in a good way! :biggthump Should turn a good bushcrafter. :pack:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks for posting that Roger. I'm really excited about it. Can't wait until the little brown truck shows up. :) Or if the post orifice, the little white car. :rolmao:

Here's some background info on that knife.

Way back when I used to hang out on the survival forum over at bladeforums, there were a few of us who were mora nuts. But as much as we loved the mora, a couple of us were very interested in finding a full tang scandi. That's when I discovered the Mears Woodlore. But that sucker was pricey (way more than I was paying for knives at that time :lol: ) and the waiting time was forever. I contacted a couple makers but I could find no one who was interested. American makers thought I was nuts, and Scandi makers couldn't see the point. Soooo...I thought I would try to make my own. Unfortunately, I was not too swift at grinding the bevel and too lazy to pursue the project with files.

Anyway, during my time at the KF outdoor survival forum, blademan contacted Nick Wheeler and together they came up with a fantastic full tang scandi. I ended up with three and price wise, the three together were probably the same price as a custom woodlore (or close). So I was a happy camper and eventually accumulated a few more knives of this style.

Then one day Tactical Knives sent me one of Roger Linger's knives to evaluate for an article. I knew it was a custom design bushcraft by Ron Medise. I was so impressed with his work that when I discovered Roger was willing to do complete custom work, I decided to order something from him. I got to thinking about this and then remembered my old woodcrafter project. The perfect project for Roger was my thinking! I still wanted a woodcraft knife with an exposed tang for scraping hides and wood and this looked like the way to get 'er done!

So I still had the blank lying around, which I sent Roger. Below is the old A2 blank and the new S30V blank that Roger made.

hoodoo_profile1.JPG

All through this project, Roger sent me tons of emails asking me detailed questions about my preferences. It was awesome! I felt like I had total input, right down to the exact measurements for the handle profile. It don't get more custom than that!

But the cool thing is that Roger went WAY ABOVE and BEYOND what you might expect.

Roger also offered to grind, taper the tang, and heat treat the original A2 blank at NO CHARGE. :yikes: How could I say no to that? :biggthump

Here's what he did to the original blank:

tt1_1.jpg

tt2_1.jpg

So, mucho thanks to Roger! :You_Rock_ I can't wait to get my hands on the Hoodoo Voodoo, and I'm also looking forward to slapping some scales on the original. I never thought it would ever happen but it's a slam dunk now. :lol: Roger is da man!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, it finally arrived on my doorstep and all I can say is WoW! :super:

I took a few more pics.

voodoo1b.jpg

voodoo2b.jpg

voodoo3b.jpg

This one fits my hand almost as if it were designed for it. :lol:

voodoo4b.jpg

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Excellent Knife. Well do to both of you.

I am the first to admit that I known nothing about knives and knife make beyond my Mora but this one really has sparked my interest. I'm glad I am already broke or I would be now.

Maybe soon I will be able to declare my self broke again thanks to one of these babies.

Tanks for sharing guys your site is now in my favourites. :wave:

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE