The Homestead - Tractors etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I love old tractors, a surprisingly large number are still kicking around farms all across Europe. These are often machines that are kept running by their owners, parts are either robust, or easy to fix/bodge as needed.

One particular engine type may be of interest to readers here, the 'Hot Bulb' engine.

The design is simplicity itself, there is very little to go wrong, which may be why there are still quite a few kicking around. The 'hot bulb' relates to part of the engine that must be warmed up before the engine can be started, commonly this is done with a blow torch however it is not unknown for folks to light fires beneath them. Once the engine is running, the heat of combustion keeps the machine ticking over.

In this part of the world, Hungary, there are many, mostly because there was a Hungarian manufacturer of these tractors in the twenties and thirties, but also because many forward thinking farmers broke down their machines and buried them to make sure that neither the Germans or the Russian nicked them. Once dug up in the late forties they were put back to work.

One of the big advantages of the design is the ability to use a wide variety of fuels, including some very 'dirty' ones including used cooking oil, creosote etc.

Tough little machines. Here is one in Germany being 'started up'. :)

[video=youtube;Qm6nHPcRT-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6nHPcRT-A[/video]

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is a gorgeous bit of kit!

I can't compete - but I regularly avail myself of my neighbours 60 year old Fordson Major - still going strong and acts as our forklift, brash shifter, JCB etc,

Tractor and fire_1 by British Red, on Flickr

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He loves tinkering with old kit - runs around in a Series I Land Rover. He restores and sells classic tractors - but the old rusty Fordson is just used. It goes...and goes...and goes!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've just spent a very pleasant hour or so exploring old Eastern Bloc tractors and trucks, led to them from sandbender's great link above...........
There's some truly amazing kit around and all of it not only eminently usable but full of interest and character, too. Although I wonder what the H&S boys and girls would make of all those exposed fly wheels, pto's and flapping belts?

I've lately had to get by on my twenty acres of grass by using a series of 4WD mot failures, little lightweight jobs such as Suzukis and Skoobydoos
which are light enough to skip along the top of the ground without causing any compaction or ruts in the recent wet wet wet, but they're soulless if effective; I can get away with it 'cause we still use the horses for most of the harrowing, mowing and carting etc. We were, up until a few years ago, still building traditional haystacks but the kids just come and fire them so we had to stop.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
We used to have a Fergie 35 and our next door neighbour had a Grey Fergie.
Got a mate with a gas converted Grey Fergie, just has a gas bottle in the transporter box at the back.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Ah. Fordson Major. The favoured ATV of Irish Special Forces. Seen here in the hands of the Leprechaun Special Response Unit.

FordsonMajorLrg_zps89e2eafa.jpg

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Loving the roll over bar made of box section :)

I think that was required to make it road legal. However I'm not sure how functional it is as a roll bar because it folds (!?) to allow it in the door of the shed. You can see the hinge on the rusty bit half way up. Fortunately it (the roll bar) has never seen action. It's a pretty heavy duty set of pins that hold it in place but I doubt they are up to the forces required.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
I love old tractors, a surprisingly large number are still kicking around farms all across Europe. These are often machines that are kept running by their owners, parts are either robust, or easy to fix/bodge as needed.

One particular engine type may be of interest to readers here, the 'Hot Bulb' engine.

The design is simplicity itself, there is very little to go wrong, which may be why there are still quite a few kicking around. The 'hot bulb' relates to part of the engine that must be warmed up before the engine can be started, commonly this is done with a blow torch however it is not unknown for folks to light fires beneath them. Once the engine is running, the heat of combustion keeps the machine ticking over.

In this part of the world, Hungary, there are many, mostly because there was a Hungarian manufacturer of these tractors in the twenties and thirties, but also because many forward thinking farmers broke down their machines and buried them to make sure that neither the Germans or the Russian nicked them. Once dug up in the late forties they were put back to work.

One of the big advantages of the design is the ability to use a wide variety of fuels, including some very 'dirty' ones including used cooking oil, creosote etc.

Tough little machines. Here is one in Germany being 'started up'. :)

[video=youtube;Qm6nHPcRT-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6nHPcRT-A[/video]

Holy cow, that's a beast of a thing! Makes my old MF35 look like a Dinky toy! I do miss it, but it was a bit 'quirky' to be using regularly.
My 'new' workhorse is even older, a 1952 TE20. Possibly the most reliable piece of machinery I've ever come across. It does pretty much all the heavy jobs that I can't manage with the quad. I just wish it had a loader on it.

096e0f1e.jpg
[/URL]

0598b994.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3683_zps35374859.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I bought myself a tractor from your way Massey Ferguson 65 (1962) some people say they don't make tractors that good anymore, so we'll see :D It's under major repairs now, being stripped down naked to be newly born with front loader and that's gonna be a lot of help off my back.... :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The LifeTrac 6 an 'open source' tractor.

[video=vimeo;75544977]http://vimeo.com/75544977[/video]

I have been following the development of the LifeTrac for a few years now, this is the latest version.

Spec and blueprints for the tractor here, more of their machines here.

Last edited:

pwb

Lovely machines :) and boy can that hot bulb move.

Not exactly homestead but this little Kubota is used at work .

210320143152Small_zpsfc8f28d7.jpg

The Kubota was used last year to cut the grass for hay using a hayter swipe then turned it with an old hay turner . We borrowed an old Case to run the Massey bailer to bail the hay.

130720132732_zps50213ff2.jpg

I recently discovered this cool old pic of my Dad on his old Allis Chalmers , he told me that those are a couple of German POWs on the trailer that used to help out on the farm.

DSC04817Small_zps5d9d4f9b.jpg

Pete.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is our "tractor" (although we also have a ride on mower)

VB 21 Rotovator by British Red, on Flickr

I was rotovating the raised beds today. I did about a thousand square feet (plus weeding edging etc.). It occurs to me that, without some form of "assisted soil cultivation" homesteading would be a miserable experience. Now its perfectly "doable" to have a rotovator (although to be entirely self sufficient a larger one than ours is needed), horse and plough, small tractor, even oxen. A spade thouh is just not going to cut it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
"I was rotovating the raised beds today. I did about a thousand square feet (plus weeding edging etc.). It occurs to me that, without some form of "assisted soil cultivation" homesteading would be a miserable experience. Now its perfectly "doable" to have a rotovator (although to be entirely self sufficient a larger one than ours is needed), horse and plough, small tractor, even oxen. A spade thouh is just not going to cut it."

They used to reckon that a fit strong man working sixty hours a week could just about keep on top of an acre of good ground, in order to keep it in good heart and productive; and that's sixty hours a week averaged out over the seasons!

A miserable experience indeed, and no doubt a very unpleasant and painful old age in the times when old age began in your fifties.............................No thankyou!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE