The Hawthorn Challenge

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right then, it looks like being another great year for hawthorn berries. Every year I see masses of these lovely looking berries, looking wonderful and tasty and....

...I've never managed to make anything worth eating out of them. My hawthorn jelly didn't set, looked like a brown sludge, and tasted of sugar, nothing else. :(

So, the challenge is this: Make something to eat using hawthorn berries as the main ingredient, and post the results (and recipe if possible) on here.

No prizes, but I might be up for a foodie trade if some things look interesting! :)

I'm hoping to learn and be inspired.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too :)
My hawthorn bush is full of berries just itching to be gathered.

I have an idea what to do with them too :)

cheers,
Toddy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ummm, might have to make some.........................

Cant give the gamne away now can i?, althought the berries wont be the main ingredient, they will be one of the main ones, does that still count?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Those that I've tried up to now have been very disappointing. Very little flesh on the berries and very dry - it'll be a while before they're good enough to harvest here.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I don't want to hijack this thread but could we broaden the challenge to include 'what can you do with hawthorn?'

A nearby wood has loads of it - some of the hawthorn trees seem mature and quite tall - may be 30 feet high. But I can't find anything that I might want to use it for.

A quick seach on the internet found :

"The wood of the Hawthorn can seldom be obtained of a large-enough size for much practical use, and is liable to warp; but its toughness recommends its use for the cogs of wooden mill-wheels, and, as a substitute for box-wood in engraving. The bark has been used in tanning, and the leaves as a substitute for tea; but, except as making a dense, quick-growing, and ornamental hedge, the Hawthorn is certainly far rather beautiful than merely useful."

http://www.2020site.org/trees/hawthorn.html

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
I'd be interested in the results too.

There are loads of haws this year and my previous attempt at making hawthorn leather was quite boring.
That is maybe because my palate is too used to processed food and I'm not appreciating the finer nuances of the haws :confused:

Anyways, there was that other recipe I had planned to try ....maybe I'll make that my challenge contribution :D

Cheers
Ness :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have tried the baby leaves in the spring over a few years and a few different trees, i gave up, not nice.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I don't want to hijack this thread but could we broaden the challenge to include 'what can you do with hawthorn?'

Hawthorn wood is gorgeous. It often has a pinkish tinge, and because it is often slow-growing because it survives in exposed areas where other trees don't, it is dense, and often twisted. An excellent carving wood for small projects, and makes lovely coasters if you just slice up a suitable width branch.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hawthorn wood is gorgeous. It often has a pinkish tinge, and because it is often slow-growing because it survives in exposed areas where other trees don't, it is dense, and often twisted. An excellent carving wood for small projects, and makes lovely coasters if you just slice up a suitable width branch.

Ok - thanks for the suggestion - looks like it might be worth giving it a try after all

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
There is a sauce you can make with hawthorn berries that is divine! We call it saucy haws ;) and its better than bown, tomato or any of those others!
Been making it for the last two years and will make more this year.
http://www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk/blog/?m=200909
Makes 1 300ml bottle;

500g hawthorn berries;
300ml cider vinegar;
170gm sugar;
1/2 tsp salt;
Ground black pepper;
Ground Alexander seeds;
Crushed Jack by the Hedge seeds.

First gather your hawthorn berries – wear gloves if necessary to protect you from the thorns.

Strip the haws from the stalks, rinse and place in a large pan;

Bring vinegar and 300ml water to the boil, add haws – this will help preserve the vitamin C;

Simmer berries until split and soft, about 30 mins;

Pass the mixture through a colander – this takes patience, but it’s worth it;

Add sugar to the liquid and return to the heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins. Add the seasoning and bottle.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i tried pyracanthus jelly last autumn,..and it was the same,...just tasted like dirty sugar,...lol

can i join in but use my firethorn berries from the garden,...?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The fruit leather from hawthorn is quite nice made it last year.
Very messy and time consuming, but interesting to make something edible from the berries alone. I might try making some again with a little blackberry cordial I made added for some extra sweetness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE