the hand drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
2blackcat said:
Well done, Snufkin
Any sign of the blisters everyone keeps mentioning?
Not this time, but I've been trying off and on for ages and have had plenty of blisters in the past. Had a go last friday and got blisters coming up but they had hardened up a bit so I went for another attempt.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
leon-b said:
i would love to try fire by friction but i am not sure what one
it seems to me that the bow and drill method is the easiest should i try this one first
leon
Bow drill is much easier to master as you can keep trying until you are knackered without waiting for the blisters to heal in between attempts. The hand drill is much more satisfying though.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Snufkin said:
Just got my first ember with the hand drill :D . Managed it with thumb loops before but this was the first time au naturel, as it were.

Budlea drill with clemetis hearth. Took a little long (maybe two minutes) but I think my hearth was too thick and it took a while for the dust to accumulate.
Fantastatic Snufkin. And beautiful picture too.

2 minutes is good going. A gentle phase between first smoke and a last all out effort helps you get your breath back and gets the last bit of moisture out of the wood.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
leon-b said:
i would love to try fire by friction but i am not sure what one
it seems to me that the bow and drill method is the easiest should i try this one first
leon
There is always the electric power drill method - turn it down to low speed and you get quite a good simulation of bow or hand drilling. It gives you knowledge of how much and how fast you need to work when doing it by hand or bow. Find woods that give powdery punk without grittiness.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thats a good idea i would never of thought of thanks i'll have to try it
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE