The first known English bushcrafters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
Hi all,

Did a search of the forums but did not see this topic come up before, so here goes.

I am currently reading a book entitled 'The English Resistance: the underground war against the Normans' by Peter Rex. (No connection to the autor and not a great book anyway). He describes the English method of resistance as effectively guerilla warfare: attack and then melt into the forests or fens. The Normans referred to their adversaries as 'silvatici', which is the equivalent in Engllish of 'wildmen' or 'woodsmen'. Hereward the Wake later became the most famous example.

Leaving aside our primitive ancestors, I wondered what other examples of bushcrafters from history people might know?

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I saw in a RM dvd an account of Jewish partisans during World War 2 who lived deep in the Russian forests. They produced their own oil by distillation, lived in semi underground log shelters and used natural resources to survive and it seems continue a quite impressive resistance to the invading German Army.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
eddie mcgee, post second world war though. Anyone remember his tv series? I've got the book but it was before my time.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I saw in a RM dvd an account of Jewish partisans during World War 2 who lived deep in the Russian forests. They produced their own oil by distillation, lived in semi underground log shelters and used natural resources to survive and it seems continue a quite impressive resistance to the invading German Army.

New movie starring Daniel Craig about this called "Defiance" coming out soon, though how much it will concentrate on them living off the land remains to be seen.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What about Alfred the Great, he must have done a spot of bushcrafting whilst hiding in the marshes and burning cakes?

Seriously I think its a bit of a daft question, the further you back back in time the more of what we think of today as bushcraft was simply a part of everyday life. The Glastonbury Lake village dwellers for instance 100bc-50AD made most of the craft items bushcrafters do and they farmed, foraged and fished. Go back to bronze age Flag Fen and I would expect a higher proportion of forage and hunting and lower proportion of farming.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE