The Bushcraft Bothy (bag)

A long time ago I had the idea of a cammo bothy bag to be used as a multi functional item: Bothy bag, wildlife hide, 3 season tarp for lightweight overnighters. So I managed to get an 8 man bothy bag made up by JDS components. I promised to reveal it a while ago...:)
http://www.bothyshelter.com/
They were very helpful and more than willing to add some basics alterations to the design such as horizontal vents and loops on the corners to allow guyinging etc. My spec was that it had to be long enough to strecth out in and they were more than willing to accommodate this.

After receiving the bothy bag I realised that it was HUGE and a lot wider (I loved the length) that I expected (I have a 3 person bothy that barely takes 2 hence opting on the big side for this one) so I added a few mods. Pegging loops 2ft up on the corners and a guy loop on the middle of the roof, as well as guys on all corner loops. This allows the bothy shelter to be used like a very lightweight fully enclosed tarp/tent complete with a 2ft interior flap (around the inside circumferance of the tent) to sit/sleep on. It packs down roughly to the size of a small football.
March09060.jpg

March09064.jpg

inside.jpg

Plenty room although Broc aint so sure! :rolleyes:
March09069.jpg

My next mod to this would be to add a couple of two way zips on one of the sides for a door and some small vents with wire stiffened hoops built in. In addition to this maybe some more peg loops higher up the corners so the whole shelter can be lowered and make it more adaptable to different contexts. When no trees are around 4 trecking poles can hold it up or at a push one in the centre to create a pyramid type tent.

So if anyone has a couple of double opening zips going spare or willing to trade/sell them pm me please!

(SWMBO-loves it...warm and dry for a brew, fantastic and brownie points for me)
Cheers

WS

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Looks top notch mate :35: . You've given me an idea to dig out an old tent outer and have a play. I need something lightweight for keeping in the bottom of my rucksack for beach fishing. The weather can blow up out of nowhere sometimes and you can be a fair few miles from the car. I was looking at bothy bags but most are way too expensive for me just now.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Woodsmoke, you are simply Man Most Versatile.
Your one of those people who sees something in one form and finds multible uses for it!
I've just looked at your Underblanket thread then this one.
Both great ideas!
Just Brilliant mate, Brilliant!!!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Excellent idea and well made too.
Just a thought ,have you considered velcro instead of zips?It's a bit lighter and won't jam,also it makes a water and wind proof seal.

Yes I have thought about velcro but you know I don't know what I am doing wrong but for the life of me velcro and my sewing machine does not go well together;I can never get the tension right on the thread and it all clogs up and goes everywhere, not pretty. But yes in theoory it would be far better than a zip.

WS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE