The Big Grey Man of Ben McDhui

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Hiya

Alexs thread regarding the Cairncorms in the out and about section just reminded me of something which i thought might be interesting to peeps here (mods let me know if this is inappropriate )

A group of mates and I back in Scotland (mostly them :)have produced a film for the Edinburgh mountaineering film festival this coming October

The Short trailer can be found here on U Tube

It's concerning the legend of the big grey man which has been haunting Ben MacDui for years, It really is a cracking film and hopefully the full length version will be available el gratis online after the showing at the festival.
It also shows me freezing ma **** off in December :)

Cheers

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i thought something was folowing me when i as solo on ben mcdui during a long walk in the cairn gorms whilst i was at uni, i ran miles maybe 5 or 6 back to the bothy i've never been so scared or been back since. place is lovley mountains are great but i'm not going back on my own

i'll try and watch the film!!!!

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Hi James,

Very interesting - a number of folk have been interviewed for this and have similar stories - if you have the time take a gander at Big Gray Man we'd genuinely love to hear your story - sightings!!!!!

edited to say Afleck Gray wrote a book regarding this - well worth a read if you can find a copy (unless it stirs up too many old nightmares :)
cheers

G

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
"there is something very queer about the top of Ben MacDhui "

he came upon me with a "crunch crunch crunch"

i got scared but he said it was ok

hes had boys like me before

then he continued

"crunch crunch crunch"

(ben macdhui by ivor cutler)

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Cheers fir that andy -

Your an Arbroath lad i see :) i lived around there until i was 17 and ran off to the smoke - family is still there as is the dug in my avatar.

cheers

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Seen the grey man or up around the ben a few times - still scares the **** out me despite the fact I know its just my own reflection.

as for voices - I've heard them in a few places and not just scotland, my theory is they are either real but to far away to see or the wind sounding similar to the crowded life we normally hear 90 % of the time or in apsolute silence, it is our mind playing tricks on us and substituting that silence for a more normal sound.

Of course I could be totally wrong and its really all caused by a strange sub world of zombies who enter and exit their world via certain portals to get their favourite food - pink rock!!

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Actually I'm an Aberdeen lad (or as its said round here Aberdeen loon) , My wife is an Arbroath lass ;) .

Where about In Arbroath? I'm a postie there so I know it very wellDid you hear that the Seaforth hotel burnt down :( : ?

Your post has pricked my interest in the BGM again so I've been doing some googling :D , the last part of this particular webpage presents an interesting theory on why he's (Or 'She' it could be the Big Grey Lass of Ben Macdui :p ) there.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/creatures/greyman.htm

Also I seem to recall an account of an encounter with the BGM in Glen Tanner by a group of students desending off Mount Keen, He gets about a bit :eek:

Andy

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Heya

Aberdeen you say - nevermind :) only joking

I'll drop ya a pm re location matey, I read about the seaforth on the bbc website - i remember when they opened their indoor pool there,
cough - Insurance job - cough. :)

Heres a blast from the past - what's Ballies called now is it still open? please say no :) sure the top half of my front tooth is still embedded in the filthy sticky carpet there.

- I seem to recall an account of an encounter with the BGM in Glen Tanner by a
- group of students desending off Mount Keen, He gets about a bit

Well a spectre has to keep himself active you know :) i'll see if i can get ya a dvd of the film if you fancy it?

cheers

G

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
troy said:
Seen the grey man or up around the ben a few times - still scares the **** out me despite the fact I know its just my own reflection.

as for voices - I've heard them in a few places and not just scotland, my theory is they are either real but to far away to see or the wind sounding similar to the crowded life we normally hear 90 % of the time or in apsolute silence, it is our mind playing tricks on us and substituting that silence for a more normal sound.

Of course I could be totally wrong and its really all caused by a strange sub world of zombies who enter and exit their world via certain portals to get their favourite food - pink rock!!

:) I was staying in Corour boothie - went out for a smoke and to relieve myself in the middle of the night and can honestly say i was terrified to hear noises around me and a low deep breathing.

Imagine my surprise when i turned round and came face to face with a deer . your imagination really goes into overdrive there.

Cheers

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Just for those who may be interested this is gaining momentum, and was featured in i think mondays glasgow herald with some photos. link below:
News Paper article

Alledgely its in todays Scotsman as well but i can't find a copy here for love nor money - anyone have a copy handy?

Cheers

G

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Remember he's bigger than you, with bigger strides so you have to run a civil servant whos recently misplaced some compact disks being chased by the media, to get escape, also it apparently helps if you empty your service revolver at him first too.

I have to admit, though the legend does make me slightly uneasy about climbing the Mountain

Andy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sit down, talk to him and you have a very rational conversation....
Mind you I HAVE slept out on Cader Idris - and am no poet....... now there is a legend/myth....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE