The best wool blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Are they really the best, or just the most expensive? (I mean that as an honest question - not nitpicking)

Not very environmentally friendly, the Hudson Bay blankets: Shipping all that wool over to Canada from England, then shipping it back sporting a label and packaged as a blanket... Surely there are UK made ones that have similar quality?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Are they really the best, or just the most expensive? (I mean that as an honest question - not nitpicking)

Not very environmentally friendly, the Hudson Bay blankets: Shipping all that wool over to Canada from England, then shipping it back sporting a label and packaged as a blanket... Surely there are UK made ones that have similar quality?

Yep - available in the UK would be nice :rolleyes: and by surplus I mean cheap-ish

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Okay....I am thinking wool blankets at around a tenner :eek: (maybe a bit more) - which army does the best 'issue' blankets? French? Dutch? German? GB? Aussie? Kiwi? SA? US?........

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Okay....I am thinking wool blankets at around a tenner :eek: - which army does the best 'issue' blankets? French? Dutch? German? GB? Aussie? Kiwi? SA? US?........

Swiss maybe, kind of classics in their own right. Not too sure how easy to find one for a tenner though.

Should be able to find new wool disaster blankets for less than a tenner though. Usually 60% wool. http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr3569.html

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Those emergency blankets, if they are the ones I gave out to people at the Brazda Refugee Camp in Macedonia in 1999, are warm but not very robust. They seem to be made from reclaimed wool that is chopped and rewoven into blankets so they are multicoloured and what not. This isn't a problem in itself, but they aren't as robust as a proper woollen blanket.

There are links to British Army blankets on the forums, they can be a bit itchy at first but if you wash them with some fabric conditioner a few times on a cool wash and air dry them out on the line they soon soften up.

The US army blankets are a nice green colour! Trying to get them cheap though is a hard deal. There are green blankets used by British Army Medics, but I have never seen them up for sale yet.

Basically, if it is 100% woollen, you can't go wrong, if you want an inner blanket that is soft to stop the itchiness of the issue blankets, use one of those picnic tartan blankets that you get in the petrol station, they are surprisingly warm for such a thin blanket, soft and light.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I`ve had two blankets that my mother said was from UNRRA,very warm,an yet thin,olive drab ones.One was stollen,and other accidentally burned.NOT by me.Still haven't found anything similar.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
The three i have i picked up for about a fiver each in local charity shops which are always worth having a look in for bits of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE