that time of year...

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
hi all,

Took these the other day. Best I could get as I had another swan hissing profusely at me when i got too close.

DSCF1749_zpsb7c8604f.jpg

DSCF1749_zpsb7c8604f.jpg

DSCF1746_zps3c15f5cd.jpg

hopefully I can get some of the baby swanlings(???) in a few months...:)

Regards,
Baelfore

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good photos :D and good to see the swan's nesting too :cool:

Cygnets.....no idea why they're called that though :dunno: I rather like 'swanlings' :D

cheers,
Toddy

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Just on a side note if you're close enough for them to try and chase you off maybe don't get as close on the future. It's not unknown for some birds to abandon a nest if they feel threatened or stressed.

Orric

Nice photo but the above is a big +1 from me too.....no point having a nice photo if it's responsible for damage to wildlife.

Cheers,

Bam.:)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for the comments guys. I've called them swanlings for years, don't know why. Good to know the real name. (although from the reaction i'll probably keep calling them swanlings!!)

greensurfingbear and bambodoggy, a big thank you for that info, I didn't know that. I'll be more careful and keep my distance in future. I've been wathcing this group of swans for the last two years, (at least I think its the same swans) so I would hate to be the reason for any damage to their wellbeing.:sad6:

Regards,
Baelfore

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
He learnt the signs through experience - best way to do it - and I doubt it'll happen again. God forbid a fox gets even closer before being chased off and they subsequently flee their nest in terror. Wildlife ain't 'that' fragile.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE