Terry Pratchett.......love him or.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've seen many a mention on the forum to one of my favourite authors on the site.... and chatting with Toddy about his latest (Nation) made me wonder....."what's your favourite Pratchett novel....and your least favourite"?

For me, I tend to ignore the first two as they were just "finding his feet". I loved "Making Money" recently and reallly like the description of the reaking of the gold standard in banking. Wintersmith was proably the weakest lately - not a patch on "A Hat full of Sky" or "The Wee Free Men" in my opinion.

I will sadly miss the mans wit and genius for character :(

Red

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I love 'em all.:D

The man makes his characters live. I'm quite happy to accept that the Disc actually exists somewhere in the universe.:p

The world will be a much sadder place when his genius is extinguished.

The first Pratchett book I read was The Truth and I loved it.

I'm currently working my way through them all in order. I've enjoyed them all so far, but not all as much as eachother.

Pyramids was clever but didn't do it for me as much as Mort or others.

Unlike British Red - I thought the first two were fantastic.

BorderReiver is dead right when he says "The man makes his characters live."
And the disc DOES exist! Haha.

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Many MANY! moons ago I went to an evening talk given by Terry Pratchett. I thought he was witty, clever and quite a raconteur. Apparently one of his formative experiences was reading a Famous Five book at around the age of 8 or so and then thinking "I could do better than this".

Having said that I've never been much of a fan of his books, but I did enjoy Good Omens. I had a signed copy to which Terry added the message "we made the Devil do it".

It's a sad business what's happening to him now, but he pops up every now and then on Radio 4 and sounds pretty chipper.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I own copies of all but three of the Diskworld books - they are just as good on the fifth read as on the first....brilliant man, brilliant writer,
Why has he not done one on Diskworld Bushcraft???

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I've got all of them. They all still make me giggle like a loon when reading them. My favorites are the ones the Nac MacFeegle (sp?) in. I want me a croud of them. It would almost be worth them knicking all my booze. I'd just have to point out the offy round the corner and lock my fridge!

Grebby

I don't think I could choose a single favourite so, in no particular order:

The Truth
Going Postal
Thud!
Feet of Clay
Truckers (I had this on video too, until someone 'borrowed' it :( )
Soul Music
Witches Abroad
Monstrous Regiment
Wee Free Men

Least favourite:

Pyramids
Moving Pictures (saved only by the fantastic 'Gaspode the Wonder Dog')

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Enjoy them all.... they appeal to my offbeat sense of humuor in a way that not many other authors can touch.

And as John says.... where's the discworld bushcraft edition? And more importantly, what name could be given to the hero? :D

Edit:
Ohhhh.... I just realised this is the number of the beast posting for me.... quick, better get something else posted....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE