Tentipi vs Nordisk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mofri

Aug 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been considering purchasing a Tentipi 9 CP for general family european car camping, But I've just discovered the Nordisk Alfheim 19.6.

Both are Cotton/Polyester, equal size, identical construction.

The Nordisk is considerably cheaper (£480) and also benefits from 'zip in groundsheet' (+£240) and 'interior cabin' (+£160) options/additions.

http://www.nordisk.eu/products/legacy/legacy-detail/type/legacy/categories/alfheim-196m2.html

Does anyone have any experience of the Nordisk Poly/cotton tents? How do they compare to the Tentipi?

I'm still tempted by the Tentipi, But mainly due to the sentimental/romantic reason that I got married in two Tentipi Stratus' :)

Thanks!

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
Sorry don't have any experience of the Nordisk - but it looks great and the zipped in groundsheet is a bonus (although expensive at £240)
The tent itself seems more reasonably priced as I think the Tentipis are overpriced for what you get.
I would enquire as to what they mean by "350mm raindrops" icon. UK rain would require a minimum 4000mm hydrostatic head no?

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Looking at the literature on this site, it appears that these tipis are pure cotton (canvas?), rather than a polycotton. Can't understand the 350mm head they quote - it is a lightweight canvas at 185g/m2, but, especially if treated with a waterproof coating - should be a much higher head than 350mm.

Not sure I agree with the need for a 4000mm head though - tipis shed water very easily because of their steep sloping sides. Even premier sil-nylon tipis such as kifaru and seekoutside - sold specifically for, and used in seriously severe weather conditions - only have a head of 1500-2000mm.

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
Fair enough re SIL nylon etc I was just quoting the average hydrostatic head for the likes of Outwell tents.
It just's just that 360mm seemed a bit low. However, HH not normally quoted for the polycotton tents for some reason so perhaps despite being 350mm they'll be fine.

I would happily get the Nordsik ( if I needed another tent, SWMBO would not be amused)
Interesting to note that the Tentipi Safir CP 9 is roughly the same size but comes in at only 13.6Kgs (poly cotton)
For the price differential though I'd happily put up with an extra 5kgs

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That nordisk looks good. I think barethrills is flogging a helsport kongsvold 8-10 camp soon. Which is a good one.

I had a CP tentipi, and a Bison Lavvu, and a heavy canvas Greens campfire tent for setting up a basecamp, or car camping, but ive now ended up with a Kodiak flexbow, which I like better than any of the others Ive used.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Tentipi all the way I have a the safir 5 cp and could not recommend it highly enough. It is expensive but it is real quality and has a unique design with these pulley straps that open the vents at the top, it's best to look at a video on youtube to see what I mean. It is a really good tent and it the best tipi that can be used in conjunction with open fire or stove in my opinion.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Tentipi all the way I have a the safir 5 cp and could not recommend it highly enough. It is expensive but it is real quality and has a unique design with these pulley straps that open the vents at the top, it's best to look at a video on youtube to see what I mean. It is a really good tent and it the best tipi that can be used in conjunction with open fire or stove in my opinion.

I like tentipis but they are heavy and difficult to dry if you get a large one. Helsport do the fancy pulley top hat controls on their varanger range which are a good bit lighter and cheaper

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I didn't know helsport did that, are they poly cottons also and yes the tentipis are quite heavy I only viably use it in the canoe , have backpacked with it once but it nearly killed me - no stove then though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE