Tent stove mod idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

emrock

Nov 17, 2011
East Anglia
I have a seek outside wood stove, similar to kifaru or ti-goat stove. I like the idea of a warming tray extension, but have been thinking about whether there would be any benefit to a tray beneath the stove? Specifically does anyone think that a deep baking tray fixed beneath the stove could work as an oven, if the sides of the tray reflected the heat?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Baking under a stove is very cool but it would be very easy to just prop a baking tray on something under the stove anyway at any height you like. I think it would be very hard to justify any size, weight or cost penalty.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
if the sides where sealed yes; but not if left open as heat rises; you do not really need to make it weight bearing so titanium foil (or stainless if you can find it thin enough)should suffice and that will not come to more than 100g. You could stickit on the top.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
How about using an oblong shaped sponge cake pan with tall-ish sides? The only mod to the stove would be four 'feet' underneath to grip the edge of the pan snug against the stove bottom. The feet can be simple. A screw, washer and spacer.
The pan made from aluminium. Possibly insulated for even heat?

emrock

Nov 17, 2011
East Anglia
Yes cake dish or roasting dish are sort of what I was thinking of. My seekoutside stove has threaded rod legs, which could probably be used to hold such a tray in place with wing-nuts or something similar. When I have the thing going at full pelt it glows red hot, so was thinking I could try and replicate what a domestic oven does.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm sure I recollect Seekoutside doing a video showing how to use the sideshelf in such a manner to bake stuff. Basically, fit sideshelf on the legs under the stove (making sure that your pan was a tight fit), then just slide the pan in with the baking stuff in it. Whilst its true that heat rises, its also true that these types of stove put out a fair bit of heat underneath as well (as the material is very lightweight - normally ti or SS thin sheets - none of those thick iron bottom panels on the 60lb stoves!)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
that would be more like a pizza oven; they bake good bread; very hot. I suppose to regulate it you could always just lower the tin. I think you would have to stop the tin touching the food as it tends to burn !

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Like Andy said, SO do a tray option on the stove mate, and it does get hot under there, can't vouch for how effective it is though. Perhaps there are some reviews on the SO site, or pm the owner, he subscribed to this site :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE