Tent or bivvy?

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE

Tiley

Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I like the flexibility and light weight of a tarp + bivvy bag set up but find that it works best in or near the woods. In the hills and mountains, yes, there are trees but quite often there are not. I know full well that I can deploy my trekking poles effectively but it is almost quicker and, arguably, more secure, to pitch the tent. So, I'm of the 'horses for courses' brigade and make my choice according to where I'm going to be and the probability of vile weather.

If I'm thinking purely of my comfort - not feeling locked in, having a good flow of air and plenty of room to spread out my stuff - then it'll always be the tarp + bivvy option.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
After best part of 35 yeas of tent camping (mainly wild) I am seriously looking at reducing the weight of what I carry and a bivvy bag seems to be the ideal way to do this.

A few things put me off: Dont want to feel claustrophobic, what do you do if it's throwing it down with rain (in a tent you an sit it out with some comfort).

Open to ideas, suggestions, discussion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Way back in the eighties when it was only Survival Aids selling Gore-Tex bivvy bags, myself and a pal got one and went bivvying for a week across the lakeland fell to report yeah, they are a viable alternative particularly when stealth is the name of the game. The only problem I experienced was I took a dog with me, to one night when it had rained unexpectedly experience a soggy collie seeking shelter as it nosed it's way into my bivvy bag.

To note though my bag was a large one of which had the space for back pack at the head I never zipped it up when I was in it, just sort of tented it a bit, to consider a bag with a small hoop would be a good way to go.

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.