Tent moisture

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Hello hope this post is in the right place. Off to Oktoberfest in Germany on Saturday for a week and camping for all of it. Had trouble in the past with moisture building up in my tent, especially under roll mats and whatnot, usually on my 2 day camping trips I can live with it but think it might become a bit dreary with a week of it, especially since hangovers are pretty much guaranteed. Was wondering if anyone has any tips for reducing or stopping this?

Also I'm flying over with Easyjet and my 80l backpack, was thinking of strapping my tent to the outside of the pack to allow room inside for clothes and whatnot, does anyone have experience of flying with this setup, do the airlines kick up a fuss? I assume as long as its under the allocated weight and it's securely strapped on they will be allright with it, would hate to get to the airport and have problems though.

Cheers

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Haha good tip indeed. I'll take a wee gander at the mesh things, I'm fairly on a budget and away on saturday morning so ordering stuff online is out the window methinks, suppose I could go a bit mental with the duct tape if all else fails

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
wrap it well so nothing is poking out chap, my advice on the tent is to put your sleep mat either uner the tent floor where youll be sleeping, or lift it on its side every day while your not lying on it, !um pa pa um pa pa:D

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Nice the tents in its own bag do pokey out bits should be minimal hopefully. Ah might do the olde lift on its side trick, so simple, cant believe I didn't think of that before, what a turnip I be. Yarse oom pa pa! Can't wait for some good knee slapping, hearty drinking songs

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Tie your tent on tight it will be ok. I fly with easy jet and Ryan air a lot. The last few times they were very hot on the weight issue so make sure it's within the allowance ! Have a great time.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If you're gonna be camping in one place all the time then putting some kind of vegetation (leaves, bracken etc) under the ground sheet will form a barrier between your heat & the cold floor, thus help reduce condensation, lifting your sleeping mat & bag during the day as southey said is good advice too.

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Cheers that's really reassuring to know about the tent on the bag, I'll strap it on mega tight and tape up all the strap ends, heard from a good few people that they can get stuck in the carousel thing. Thanks sure I'll have a great time, first time out of the uk in about 8 years I think and first time in Germany, probably should of trained a bit harder for a beer festival though, as long as I avoid the jäger I should be fine, drink that stuff like water and makes me a bit crazy/probably pass out in a corner somewhere

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Cool I'll try and find some vegetation too, think its some sort of campsite place so might be a bit sparse on that front but I'll try foraging about the area.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
To cut down on condensation you can, depending on the weather, leave the fly door open a bit, and/or the inner tent door unziped, basically you need to increase the airflow. Also, leave any wet gear outside the inner.

I use a Lowe Alpine bag to put the rucksack in, don't know if they still do them but here is a cheap option..................http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Locakable-Rucksack-Transit-Holdall/dp/B00126EAUW

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Cheers more tasty tips, i thank you. That bag looks beast might have to nab one when I'm back for future stuff. Never considered putting everything into another bigger bag, will have a gander tonight in my shed to see if I've got one big enough.

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Got another sneaky question about airplane rules, dies anyone know the crack with taking camp stoves in your luggage, not the hand luggage of course but the other one, I'm guessing the actual gas is a no but I have a wee foldable thing which may be handy while over there. Probably an amateurish question but it's been ages since I've been abroad so getting nervy and want everything to go smoothly travelling wise.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Always take your rucksack to the outsize luggage area after you are booked in; seems to work
Make sure nothing is loose or sticking out as well
I don't know for sure though it may just get thrown on the conveyor belt like the rest
I would try and get everything in the pack for safety sake
Have a great time

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I think the condensation has been sorted above. I go climbing in spain a fair bit on budget flights. I wouldnt leave my tent outside my bag, Maybe yours is cheap but its asking for loss or damage. What you need to do is maximise the use of hand luggage. Find a bag the perfect dimensions and fill it. When I go because checked space is at a premium with climbing and cooking gear I get everything possible with me on the plane. Tent fly and inner, all clothes towels etc, If you run out of room there then start filling your coat pockets. Better than trusting your home to the baggage handlers and machines!

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Cool I was thinking of trying to squeeze as much as I can into hand luggage and if it came to it just wearing about 5 tshirts and a couple pairs of shorts on the flight, fairly toasty I reckon but as your saying keep my home for the week safe inside my bag.

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Cheers I think theres a wee shop at the campsite and Munich is fairly close I think, hopefully be filling up in the apparently amazing grilled chocked, massive pretzels, sausages an cheese. Stove are just for a cheeky midnight munch I think

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE