Tent living - summer in a tent, in a field, in SW France

Flannelfoot

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2012
South-west
Warning - not the Bushcraftiest of threads :eek:

I'm taking my girlfriend with me to SW France as i've landed a job on an eco-house build. My boss is staying in a yurt on-site and we're going to live in a couple of bell tents - a 6m and a 5m with a 5x5m tarp strung between them. We're getting an electrical hookup, fresh water tap is on-site and there's two dry composting toilets and a solar (vacuum tube collector) shower.

The weather will be high 20's and 30's over the summer - winter may drive us away to the town, but i'd rather insulate a platform and stay on-site.

I wondered what you would take if you were doing this. This forum is full of innovative ideas and i'm open to anything. You have no idea how much convincing it's taken to get my girlfriend to go along with this (really!) So, I really want to maximize her comfort:

- We're getting a Morso 5kw stove, for the 6m tent, and i'm going to build some thermal-mass around it

- some appliances for the kitchen tent - counter top freezer & fridge, double electric hotplate and 40L hot water boiler both ex-catering, slow cooker (the thermal mass surrounding the woodburner will render it uncookable)

- two seater sofa from Ikea - surprisingly packable when dismantled! small table and chairs

- tv, laptop and xbox

- memory foam mattress

- LED lights

- jute carpet

Personally I'd be happy to hang around in my frayed Hennessy and wash in a bucket every couple of days, but like i say it has taken a lot of sweet talking to get my girlfriend on board and i'd love to hear about any ideas or improvements for our camp. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Positive luxury my man , well done you lucky sod ! for flooring ( if the ground is even and level , pallets , if not or anyway , i have always found a good thick layer of thatch ( any thatcher would be more than happy to drop some off gratis ) then an old carpet on the top , toasty and dry !!

good luck

Ivan...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Sounds great......you'll need sun protection,:).....one of those shower bags would be fun, the type that you fill with water, hang outside & then it's heated by the sun, Hot water on demand is always appreciated by the fairer sex.... if your tent is in the sun it will be unbearable to be in during the day when the temperature climbs so prehaps plan an alternative cooler & shady shelter for the madamemoiselle during the hotest hours........don't forget in August you'll have the thunderstorms, nothing like those in the UK.they'll certainly test your equipement.:D

Where abouts will you be exactly.?

Flannelfoot

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2012
South-west
i have always found a good thick layer of thatch ( any thatcher would be more than happy to drop some off gratis ) then an old carpet on the top , toasty and dry !!

Nice idea! Thanks! I was thinking about insulation for the base and didn't really like the nature and cost of expanded polystyrene insulation. Brilliant, I'll be sure to remember that.

don't forget in August you'll have the thunderstorms, nothing like those in the UK.they'll certainly test your equipement.:D

You're the 3rd person who has mentioned this August weather. Strange cos I used to go on holiday to France with my parents as a kid and I don't remember anything too scary. But then again someone whose blog I read described it as an 'epic storm' ! I probably will think about getting up off the ground on a platform before August comes then. Thanks for the warning.

Infact, I remember a suggestion on here (from Toddy I think) about covering your tent with a fishing net and staking it out for extra protection in dodgy weather.

I also thought about getting a roll of polycotton canvas, as i've seen one going cheap, and machine a 'supertarp' to cover the majority of our camp - giving shade and an air space overhead.

We'll be 20 miles from Toulouse. Can't wait to get out to the Gorges!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't mind the fishing net comment tbh, but as a way of holding down thatching, it's very good :D

Hot, stuffy and then cold at night.....you need shade and ventilation. If your tents have roll up sides, then that's a great boon. A tarp layer above the tents would be good but bell tents are high, so not so easy to manage. They are very stable though :approve:
The only other thing I'd like in that situation, mostly because they make a hellish mess of me, is some kind of protective area where I can be without insects biting.
There are large screens available now for gazebos that would effectively create an living/sleeping area with no mozzies, midgies or clegs. Might be a great kindness for your girlfriend in your home from home :D

Best of luck with it :D

cheers,
Toddy

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
You might consider an Ikea futon sofa-bed for sleeping on. They're very comfortable, (Mrs Bilmo & I used one when we were into 'heavy camping'), get you off the deck, reasonably easy to transport and can be supplemented with your memory matress if you feel the need.

Flannelfoot

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2012
South-west
You mention a Morso stove, are you paying £800 for one?

I think i'm going for a steel Windy Smithy now. I could have had a second-hand Morso, but as i'm making a cob/brick thermal-mass 'nook' for the stove to nest into, I can't really see any advantage of cast iron. That Swedish one does look cool in a no-nonsense sort of way though.

Does anyone know if the Windy Smithies can be had with a rear flue? I don't really want to go vertically through the roof. Would much rather go out horizontally though the wall.

some kind of protective area where I can be without insects biting.

You've probably just saved my bacon! Exactly the kind of important thing I would overlook. A screen door for the tent might also be a good idea - the belltents im looking at only have some small meshed windows and vents in the side walls.

Thanks for the encouragement! Im going to start a blog documenting our camp soon.

Last edited:

Flannelfoot

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2012
South-west
No but it sounds like your cousin would be interested in the build we'll be working on. The foundations are massive boulders and acacia stakes, which will take a strawbale wall on the north side and cob on the south side. Pretty old school technology!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE