Tent for dog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Im about to move to hammocking and this time of year midges are a big issue at night. I'd normally take a tent for me and my dog to escape the biting sods at night bit I'm loathed to carry the extra weight and volume of it just for the dog. So I'm looking for ideas that are cheap and light. I saw a rab insect tent and thought it would be good with a small tarp but the tent is about £100. The dog will have to carry his own gear so small and light is essential. My pal is a large collie size, a beardie actually.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just out of curiousity why do you think he needs a tent, couldn't he just have a kip mat under your hammock?

If you're worried about him wandering a short lead to a big peg would fix that issue

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
After a few hours the midges manage to get through his coat and he gets annoyed and starts nibbling away at himself. He also attracts millions of them in clouds around him. This is only a 3 month a year problem but I'd rather take him with me and enable him to get some kip at night.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Big g, thanks for the link, I've read a few reviews on that one which looks ideal but it seems it's not very weather proof. Mesquite, that looks like something I can work with as is peaks one, but the net on its own will be light for him to carry with a silnylon tarp. Thanks for the ideas, Bruce waves a paw too.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
1kg of 62" wide ripstop nylon would cost me maybe $75, including zippers and things for an A'frame tent 9' long, maybe 5' high at the ridge and 6+' wide at the bottom, no floor.
Possibly the place to start is with a surplus ripstop nylon parachute? I predict that the dog will get fussy, shut out at night, away from you.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
One of these small battery operated mosquito repellents might be an idea. They are often worn on a hunter's belt or set down nearby in the blind. it emits a field large enough co protect you and the dog if he's under you in the hammock.

k2-_2a39c69e-f52f-4607-a61b-b3f3babc6334.v1.jpg

Sorry. I was going to try to post a link but can't get one to work. Google it by brand name though; Amazon, Bass Pro, and Cabela's all carry them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I wonder if they work as well on the beloved English midge?
Might be like No-see-ums (Chayoboris sp.) Hope that I spelled it correctly.

I pinned cotton balls on my garden jacket and a couple of drops of DEET on each.

My partner lives in a really damp, buggy part of the city, forest right up to her back fence.
She swears by those repellent things, always one on her belt out in the back yard.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
They do - work great on Scottish + Welsh ones too. Seems to work well on most flying pests. The insecticide is based on a natural product. Believe the US forces were issued them in Iraq + Afghanistan???

I've had one for a few years + thoroughly recommend it. Keeps me + pooches well protected inside + outside the camper. Never thought of suggesting it for this application!

Available from here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermacell...465423213&sr=8-1&keywords=thermacell+mosquito

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Interesting device but...........
After decades of trying sprays, wicks, candles, burners, full blown midge machines etc, nothing really works except a good wind. I just don't believe that a small device like this would be effective or friends, neighbours and colleges are likely to use them. Someone has to be first I guess, anyone else tried one of these against the west coast midge? If it works, I'd buy a crate of them! Sorry to be negative here.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting device but...........
After decades of trying sprays, wicks, candles, burners, full blown midge machines etc, nothing really works except a good wind. I just don't believe that a small device like this would be effective or friends, neighbours and colleges are likely to use them. Someone has to be first I guess, anyone else tried one of these against the west coast midge? If it works, I'd buy a crate of them! Sorry to be negative here.

They're relatively new here as well; only a decade at most. It's entirely possible that they might not work on your midges, but it's equally possible they just haven't been tried yet.

They certainly work on Florida swamp bugs (mosquitoes, deer flies, sand flies, horse flies, gnats, etc.) but you do have to keep good batteries and a butane cartridge in them.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Worked for me in Dumfries + Galloway coast last year. I was surprised how effective it was - being prepared to be underwhelmed.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
I share the sentiment, our dog lived outside for 3 years and there is a possibility I'm feeling sorry for him when he's not bothered. Never the less, when I see him biting/nibbling himself like crazy after a few hours exposure I think I should do something.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Joe, Im afraid this is a society which treats our dogs better than we do our children.

(I was that child.)

(I was also glad I never had to sit to have my portrait painted; unlike the dog.)

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Tengu, that's just a photo in the snow, the other part of your post is pretty a damning statement about uk society. For my part I've checked with my daughter and she's happy that she gets a good deal in our family and the dog does ok too. I do agree that cruelty to animals gets more media coverage than children in peril, it's not something I condone or agree with. There is a difference though and that is we as a society seem to rely on government to protect vulnerable kids and charity to protect animals. The efficacy of the former is subject to opinion probably not fodder for discussion here. Thankfully bushcraft is apolitical :).

Sorry to hear about your upbringing, I'm sure you have forged your own path through life and have found a better way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE