Tengu finds a fungi

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oct24466.jpg
[/IMG]

Oct24474.jpg
[/IMG]

It sure looks and smells like a field mushroom.

I found it growing amungst the ground ivy under the trees in the shady part of my garden.

a funny place to find a field mushroom, if it is one?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Yum Yum sure looks like one to me! It is THE year for mushrooms what with the damp and warmth.
I found a shaggy ink cap yesterday 18'' tall. It was taller than the 1.5 litre water bottle I used as scale and the stem was 1 1/2'' thick! Took a pic and sent it to Tony... will try to get it in here but it is at work at present in the computer and I have trouble getting pics on to the screen.
A little butter and garlic.........
Swyn.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Tengu,the fungi you have there looks like you may have the Yellow staining mushroom, Agaricus Xanthodermus, which cause gastrointestinal distress. The mushroom turns yellow in the extreme base upon cutting, also it smells like ink or iodine,its habitat is in open woods to gardens.So i would'nt recommend eating it.

Most of the Agaricus family tend to smell of aniseed rather than the ink or iodine.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Gosh. It DID have a yellow stain at the bottom.

and it doesnt smell `quite` like a field mushroom.

Thanks for the warning. Ill stick to ink caps and white puffballs.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I would tend to go with stuart f. It looks from the photo like a Yellow Stainer (Agaricus xanthodermus) which can cause severe gastric problems amongst other symptoms which are outlined on the Roger Phillips web site linked above.

You quite often find some yellow staining on other edible Agaricus species such as the Horse Mushroom (Agaricus arvensis) which can brush yellow and have some yellow colouring as it ages (though not to the same extent as the Yellow Stainer generally), so it is important to identify them carefully. Not least because of possible confusion with other potentially deadly species with white caps such as the Destroying Angel (Amanita virosa). It is one of the reasons to avoid small, 'button' stage mushrooms unless you are very sure of their identification, only picking them when they have opened to help accurate ident.

To my nose the Yellow Stainer has a distinctly inky, rather unpleasant smell and tends to stain yellow a lot when cut quite rapidly.

Reactions: JonnyP

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
I agree with Stuartf and Moonraker. Its a yellow stainer.
The smell of ink comes out when they are cooked (fried). A year or so ago I'd pick a bunch of field mushrooms and fried them up only to smell the distinctive inky smell. A yellow stainer got in amongst them. I had the throw the lot away. :(

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I thought it a funny place to find a FIELD mushroom...

thanks for the warning, Id have eaten that if you hadnt

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Tengu said:
Ill stick to ink caps and white puffballs.

Careful with those ink caps unless you're teetotal. The common ink cap inhibits the metabolism of alcohol, which can result in a nasty case of aldehyde (I think?) poisoning.

Shaggy ink caps are safe, I believe. But don't take my word for it. ;)

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
gregorach said:
Careful with those ink caps unless you're teetotal. The common ink cap inhibits the metabolism of alcohol, which can result in a nasty case of aldehyde (I think?) poisoning.

Shaggy ink caps are safe, I believe. But don't take my word for it. ;)

And this can happen several days after the event as well..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE