Tengu as aspirant Saint; to Build a Currach.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A friend of mine desires to build a boat; I found him links to guides and plans for pretty everything watercraft from coracles to small yachts.

And guess what he has set his heart upon? A currach.

I suggested a coracle as a good first time vessel, small in budget, size and time commitment, but he will have nothing of it.

This is fine by me with my interest in The Age of Saints, but I have no idea as to how to build one.

Any place where there are plans and instructions?

Anyone built a Currach?

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
There was an old Irish programme(filmed late 70s) called "Hands" which is about old crafts and there is an episode about currachs and currach building. if you look on youtube you can find it. A very interesting watch even if you are not going to build a currach!
I hope it helps.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If he is who I think he is, Rorymax's advice is the best to follow. However, if he wants he could build a coracle which is also a currach, in other words a Boyne type currach.

Like this, mine
edwincoracle2.png

Film of a build using an animal skin cover for the hull but cloth is lighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCWFDMnKLyM

Ni

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Tengu, if you and your friend wanted to you could attempt the reconstruction of a possible Bronze Age currach as found near Dalgety, Fife. see Watkins "A Prehistoric Coracle found in Fife" and its grave two example. Very like the Donegal paddling currach.

large.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a beauty but it wont do...Has to be a proper currach, -hes even planning on a lugsail.

(Believe me, I tried to steer him down the coracle road.)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Experience of a currach under sail is mentioned in a book, THE SEALS AND THE CURRAGH. by R.M. Lockley although he used a square sail. Good book on Welsh coastal wild life and making do on the beach.
images

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE