Ten days in the Grand Canyon

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
My wife and I hiked 40 miles and floated 100 with a hired guide and a dory. Spectacular scenery and white water. Interesting encounters with bighorn sheep, mule deer, condors, buzzards, ravens, mice, lizards, tarantulas, scorpions, red ants. Stumbled across the remains of Anasazi pit houses, cliff dwellings, pictographs, a mano and matate (for grinding corn) and pottery. It's supposed to be a crowded time of year in the canyon, but we went days at a time without seeing anyone else.

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Nice pics, must have taken more.

Can you recommend any good walks to do in the states? I have about 3 weeks of flex time i can use to go on holiday :)

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Can you recommend any good walks to do in the states?

There are more fantastic walks than you could do in ten lifetimes. Depends on what you're going to be near, your tastes, the season of your visit, etc. My next treks will probably be the "Presidential traverse" in New Hampshire or the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine. Google is your friend.

Are you allowed fires in the Canyon? I guess not?

What was the daytime/nightime temperatures?

Fires are allowed in fire pans. Didn't have a thermometer, but nighttime temps were perfect, daytimes would blister a brick.

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Wow, looks simply amazing. The scale of the place must be fairly humbling I would have thought. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Nice pics! And a great time of year to do the canyon. You don't want to be there in late July, trust me...

I've been lucky enough to hike chunks of the GC over the years (living in Arizona helped...)

If anyone wants to read a GREAT book about hiking the entire length of the canyon, I suggest "The Man Who Walked Through Time" by Colin Fletcher. Fantastic book.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics Oblio, thanks for sharing.

My brother went a couple of months ago after he managed to blag a business trip to IBM in Boulder.

Hope to get there one day ........

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Wow, that looks like a fantastic place to hike. Great pics also. Reminds me a little of the fliders ranges in South Australia, minus the river.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE