Temporary Light weight Shed/Structure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

I'm looking for suggestions.

I have some significant house renovations coming up - It would be beneficial to be able to relocate alot of the stuff in the house to a temporary outbuilding.

I have a large free draining hard standing ( compacted gravel ) to locate it on.

Initially I was thinking of just getting a large wood shed and having to dismantle and sell off after the build but now I'm wondering of there maybe other possible suggestions or options? I even considered one of those enclosed tent/garage ports

Any one have a suggestion?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
A scrapped sea container. Industrial grade tent.
That’s exactly what I did, still got it.
Good security and rodent/animal proof. The one I have is insulated and has vents so no condensation issues.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd love to stick a little 20ft container in but access will prevent that I'm afraid.

Unless anyone makes in effect a flat pack type container. ?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A friend who operates rather large trucks with lifts often places containers 20 m away (empty) they are often used here for construction site storage.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you have access problems I think maybe just a big shed.
10 x 20 for under 2K......useful big storage area but a brilliant space for a workshop too :)

Failing that, and aware that it's an added expense, you could just put up a big polytunnel.
It'd do so long as the weather's not blowing gales.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If it's anything like here I'd be concerned about damp and vermin in winter with those car/tent type things.

Do you have any of those self storage places nearby, would that be an option?

Will you need access to stuff, I'm thinking one of those metal type sheds may be useful if you can box and store everything by filing the shed if you don't need to get in there to work.

Reactions: TeeDee

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
have you looked into something that can be used after your initial use and have it located in a more permanent part of the land

as others have mentioned a poly-tunnel or shed-come-workshop

a poly-tunnel can be used for growing food, 6m x 3m polytunnels are around £120.00 on ebay right now [there are smaller and larger poly-tunnels available too] which size best suits you best depends on your requirements

workshops are always valuable to have on hand and can cost thousands unless you use foraged materials from the woods and make your own

it depends what is the right fit for you and yours in your journey in life

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Check your insurance TeeDee because I doubt they'd cover you for anything stored in a temporary structure like a garage tent or poly tunnel that might get stolen should you suffer that.

Personally, if you've got the funds I'd go for a wooden shed for the extra security and peace of mind

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i use those pop up garages from Machine Mart (https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/sheds/) as sheds around my woods. Pretty cheap for what they are and I've not had much damage due to weather (ie wind or sun) even after being up in the woods for 7(?) years in some cases

They can be put up on your own, but a second pair of hands is better. Relatively lightweight, lots of sizes to choose from and when no longer needed can be put back in their box and stored. Use pallets for anything you don't want on the ground. The structure can be pegged down if on earth, or if on concrete and you don't want to bolt it, use straps that go under the pallets/ stuff inside. As for damp, that's never been an issue if things are on pallets and/or have a damp proof membrane underneath. Rodents are a part of my life, so yes they are in there; as are birds.

Obviously they aren't lockable, so don't put valuable stuff where it can be seen ;)

Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Whatever you get, remember that the stuff will be in there a lot longer than you first think!

A couple of years ago I moved stuff out to an open barn while I put a new ceiling in and redecorated my office - some of it is still there :)

I suppose it will depend a lot on what type of stuff, for how long, how valuable, and in what weather. There is always the option of a good quality tarp over it all I suppose.

Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!

I'm looking for suggestions.

I have some significant house renovations coming up - It would be beneficial to be able to relocate alot of the stuff in the house to a temporary outbuilding.

I have a large free draining hard standing ( compacted gravel ) to locate it on.

Initially I was thinking of just getting a large wood shed and having to dismantle and sell off after the build but now I'm wondering of there maybe other possible suggestions or options? I even considered one of those enclosed tent/garage ports

Any one have a suggestion?
I’m lucky in that I have a 1960’s farm building here.
I built a 15’ x 15’ x 12’ high shed inside, lined with Tyvec and a ‘warm’ floating floor On DPM and 75mm Ecotherm insulation.
No condensation. All furniture inc the soft stuff is fine.
Sorted.
Yours will need a roof but there’s not a lot of room left inside ours so don’t be shy on size!
S

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I’m lucky in that I have a 1960’s farm building here.
I built a 15’ x 15’ x 12’ high shed inside, lined with Tyvec and a ‘warm’ floating floor On DPM and 75mm Ecotherm insulation.
No condensation. All furniture inc the soft stuff is fine.
Sorted.
Yours will need a roof but there’s not a lot of room left inside ours so don’t be shy on size!
S

So I just need a barn... :)

• Haha
Reactions: swyn

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Flat pack containers are a thing:
Flat pack containers
I have an Expandastore container.
It's about ten foot long and condensation is an issue.
I could line it out and insulate it to sort that out but it's pretty secure (not shipping container secure but pretty good all the same) and I've had it for maybe twelve years.
I didn't put it together as the local dealer had ut built up already and they just dropped it over the back wall with a Hiab.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE