QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
mapdcc-walls.jpg

My latest bed time reading is
Cravenhighlands.jpg

from http://www.yorkshirecdbooks.com/index.html
No connection etc but very helpful and the amount of work done to scan the books is unbelievable.So when I read about Dead mans cave and the Celtic Walls I just had to have a Teddy Tour
page110.jpg

I parked in Feizor and just by chance the Farmer was in the yard so I went over to ask if my van was in the way, it wasn't, and showed him a photo copy of the chapter and maps on the Celtic Walls etc. and asked if there was any good erratics I might photograph on the way. He had a laugh and said that 1892 was a bit before his time but if I followed one Bridal way up, not on his land, then took the second gate and across the fields I'd get on to his land and pick up a track to where I wanted to be and if anyone challenged me tell them ***** said it was OK to be on here.
Thank you Mr Farmer. As I got higher I began to pass erratics
erraticsonwayup.jpg

Looking back the way I'd come
erraticslookingback.jpg

and some Bonsai Ash
bonsaiAsh.jpg

Till I arrived at the Celtic Walls which are not shown on the modern maps and I've drawn them on the map in in red
bigCelticwall.jpg

Looking from the Walls over towards Langcliffe and Mondays Sampsons Toe tour
lookingLancliffefromCelticwall.jpg

I then swung right round the scars and headed to Dead Mans Cave for dinner
DeadMansCave.jpg

Looking into the cave while having a brew
intothecave.jpg

Menu :- Crumpets
crumpets.jpg

With x1 cup Risotto rice - x2 cup water - 1/4 cup dried Porcini Mushrooms - x1 smoked Kebano sliced - big pinch Italian herbs - splash Olive Oil - bring to boil, simmer till water absorbed, keep stirring. Wine - Australian Colombard Chardonay
dinnerfullcup.jpg

Olive Oil is in a Grants miniature whiskey bottle which fits in the top pan of the Zebra 14cm Billy along with a sawn-off Trangia pot holder and a 35mm film holder full of Brown sugar for coffee. The wine was that good I called in and bought a full size bottle on the way home and am drinking it now as I type this
cheers all Danny

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think that this has the making of a regular Youtube cookery prog! A sort of Flloyd meets Playschool meets Coast.

Get it done!!

Brilliant work again , great photo's

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Look forward to your posts now,great place were you live,seems like you are enjoying your retirement :) I think i got that right that your retired lol;)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i hate you.

purely because you get to go out regularly to such wonderful places. i'm litterally Green with envy... :eek:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
outstanding place the cave would be cool to explore now is that all their is of that wall just that bit guess someone just got a good start and left it at that...

I find it amazing that something from antiquity reported in 1892 is still there and an to all intents an purposes has been lost, at least off the modern maps, If you read page 110 there's a little bit of information :- There are indications to the west of foundations of other walls 1500 years ago !
Middle of big wall
middleofwall.jpg

South end of big wall
southendofwall.jpg

Remains of smaller wall further south from page 110
remainsofsmallwall.jpg

It's not all that long ago certainly not in Geological time perhaps not in Tree life time yet for Human time it's lost in the midsts of ???
cheers all Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I've been playing about with the where's the path posted by "father jack" who said try here ******* it starts off in a place i dont know but you can move it to whare you like the best bit is it has an arial map on the right and an OS map on the left.
I think it's great as it gives magnetic variation at the bottom ,grid square overlays, satellite image, etc ,etc, well worth a play. I've found if you click the small icon top right the last one like a round globe with a bar underneath it gives a link to the display you are looking at. So this should go to the Celtic Walls which are shown in this map version http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=54.10232188509342&lon=-2.3060007070452997&gz=18&oz=9&gt=1 the next click minus on the left pane scale slider brings it back to a map but loses the Celtic Walls tag. Thanks again to "father jack" a great piece of software to play with
cheers all Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE