Lexi had her new T-shirt today,

IMG_0153-1.jpg

Just to keep the chill off.. :cool:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Piccy of my departed buddy. :( RIP.

Irreplaceable. But led an excellent life.

Attachments

• DSC00256.jpg
    DSC00256.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
We were looking for something bigger..........Like a Liger.

I bet it costs a small fortune to feed?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....I bet it costs a small fortune to feed?

I can't imagine that it would, they're not especially big dogs, lovely dogs, loyal dogs, but not overly big dogs at all.

Loving the dog T-shirt by the way AndyP, my mongrelly type thing has a lovely knitted sweater and a gore-tex jacket for the winter, a nice printed T-shirt might be the ideal base layer for him. Do they do them in merino? :)

Cheers,

Stuart

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Please don't take these weight guides as Gospel.Just this week I read a weight chart in the vets and has Ridgebacks down as 34 to 39 kg, Hector is a 4 year old male entire and weighs in at 53 to 57 kg, his Dad is a champion and weighs when showing at 52 kg. The vet has never been concerned by his weight, he gave Hector his Hips check as would would like to stud him as he is a good looking beastie and passed with flying colours. I know lots of Ridgeback owners who follow raw meat diet, and they have all big hounds, not saying this is positive and scientific but in my opinion this may help. Hector, eats twice a day each meal consists of 250g raw beef mince 50g of boiled Thai rice 200g of mixed boiled veg (carrots, broccoli, cabbage, sweet potato) twice a week he willed get instead of meat either salmon, or tuna, for snacks he gets fruit, or homemade beef jerky. Exercise he gets 2 hours in the morning on the South Downs and then 2 x 30 minute walks. But being typical Ridgeback he can sleep for England or tab like a Rifleman. The only aggression he has shown is to other entire males and this is just evil stares. They are very loyal and can be obedient, dont take kindly to harsh training as it breaks em, just steady continuos positive training works best. I have said to Andy, that Hector is my best counsellor when the black dog is biting Hector knows what to do. If anyone is looking at Ridgebacks the Southern Rhodesian Ridgeback society runs a well organised rescue programe.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Please don't take these weight guides as Gospel.Just this week I read a weight chart in the vets and has Ridgebacks down as 34 to 39 kg, Hector is a 4 year old male entire and weighs in at 53 to 57 kg, his Dad is a champion and weighs when showing at 52 kg. The vet has never been concerned by his weight, he gave Hector his Hips check as would would like to stud him as he is a good looking beastie and passed with flying colours. I know lots of Ridgeback owners who follow raw meat diet, and they have all big hounds, not saying this is positive and scientific but in my opinion this may help. Hector, eats twice a day each meal consists of 250g raw beef mince 50g of boiled Thai rice 200g of mixed boiled veg (carrots, broccoli, cabbage, sweet potato) twice a week he willed get instead of meat either salmon, or tuna, for snacks he gets fruit, or homemade beef jerky. Exercise he gets 2 hours in the morning on the South Downs and then 2 x 30 minute walks. But being typical Ridgeback he can sleep for England or tab like a Rifleman. The only aggression he has shown is to other entire males and this is just evil stares. They are very loyal and can be obedient, dont take kindly to harsh training as it breaks em, just steady continuos positive training works best. I have said to Andy, that Hector is my best counsellor when the black dog is biting Hector knows what to do. If anyone is looking at Ridgebacks the Southern Rhodesian Ridgeback society runs a well organised rescue programe.

I've never owned a RR but that sounds closer to what I would have expected. I was really a bit surprised by the AKC standard. But as long as I can afford it, I'll keep feeding my dogs quality kibble rather than people food.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Raw, is closer to a natural diet than kibble. I try not to eat processed food if I have too then I never eat the item if it has more than 5 ingredients in. A dog is a big investment of time, money, and more importantly he is family, so why throw a food in him that is overly processed, and often than not bulked out with corn, soya bi products,http://ezinearticles.com/?Dangerous...ow-About-Safe-Dog-Food-Ingredients&id=2697348
I know you live in Florida and you have had a recent case of cannibalism but surely not all of you guys are munching steak tartare everyday, so feeding a dog a raw meat diet can not be classed as people food

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Anyone that judges a dog by any countries kennel club standards knows absolutely nothing about dogs.

The various countries kennel clubs have destroyed pretty much every dog they judge, be it breeds that can no longer breath or breeds that can't have their own puppies without a operation.

Even the more robust dog breeds have been screwed around with THAT much their bone structure is now weak.

Absolutely disgusting.
You want a dog then please do not waste time searching for these criminals descriptions of what they think makes a good dog.

With regards to the raw diet, please be very very careful as it's not just your dogs health your putting at risk.
Salmonella, E Coli, round worm, tape worm and many other nasties are also a threat to your families health if the dog becomes contagious.

I've known several owners that used the raw diet for their dogs and every single dog ended up seriously ill.
They were ok for a couple of years, but it seems that the more they fed then raw meat the higher the risk, unfortunately a few dogs died the vet wasn't able to say 100%, but not one still feeds raw meat.

Personally i tend to feed my dog a bit of most things, she's also fussy about food and tends to get bored of one brand or another so we tend to swap around once a month.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Raw, is closer to a natural diet than kibble. I try not to eat processed food if I have too then I never eat the item if it has more than 5 ingredients in. A dog is a big investment of time, money, and more importantly he is family, so why throw a food in him that is overly processed, and often than not bulked out with corn, soya bi products,http://ezinearticles.com/?Dangerous...ow-About-Safe-Dog-Food-Ingredients&id=2697348
I know you live in Florida and you have had a recent case of cannibalism but surely not all of you guys are munching steak tartare everyday, so feeding a dog a raw meat diet can not be classed as people food

A recent case of cannibalism? You've got me there; I haven't heard of it. But it'e irrelevent. As is the idea that raw meat is closer to natural. Dogs fed quallity kibble are living on avrerage 3-5 years longer noe than previousl. My last one lived until she was 17. That said I am talking about "quality" kibble, not Walmart's junk food.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Personally i tend to feed my dog a bit of most things, she's also fussy about food and tends to get bored of one brand or another so we tend to swap around once a month.

I try to feed them what they like if I can. But I also try not to change their regimen as abruptly as you describe. It usually results in diarrhea. Rather I follow the vet's advise and take about 4 days to slowly make the change; a couple of days mixing 2/3 of the old food to 1/3 of the new food; then a couple of days of 2/3 new food to 1/3 old food before eliminating the old food entirely.

All that aside, Thanksgiving's coming and they're gonn get spoiled!

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
A recent case of cannibalism? You've got me there; I haven't heard of it. But it'e irrelevent. As is the idea that raw meat is closer to natural. Dogs fed quallity kibble are living on avrerage 3-5 years longer noe than previousl. My last one lived until she was 17. That said I am talking about "quality" kibble, not Walmart's junk food.

I agree.

Plus by far the biggest factor in the life expectancy of your dog is the breed.
Choose a mongrel or working dog with a working heritage and it'll out live and KC show dog no matter what you feed it.

Our old mutt was a bit of everything and she was 20 when eventually had to have her put down, she outlived 2 Dobermans, a Rottweiler, a golden retriever and a lab.
She was fed dried dog food for the majority of her life and only visited the vets 3 times, once to be spayed, once because she ripped her claw off and the last time to be put down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE