Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Picture:

f18411tatonkabillykettlejpg

In a years time I'll be doing a 1-2 month long solo-trip through (probably) the UK (and France or Scandinavia). Most will be camping (so not very bushcrafty) with a tent and cooking will be on a (multi-fuel) stove. Therefor I'm looking for a small pot (smaller than my Zebra 12cm), with a wider base. Hence the Zebra 10 is out of this equasion. I like those Bull Dog billies, but these come in 3 and I'll probably only use the smallest ...

Meals will be boil in the bag menu's if I run into them or (mostly) cooked fresh stuff from what I run into at local stores.

I like the fact it has a good (by the look of it) frying pan and it has a bail arm, so I can use it over a woodfire if I get permission to light one.

Also already have a Trangia kettle 0.9 ltr - so I didn't made up my mind yet to either go for a Tatonka (1 ltr) or add a Primus Litetech frying pan to the Trangia.

I fancy the Ultra-Light style some people keep up and the whole idea of freezer bag cooking & use of a Heineken cooking system, though I don't think that's feasible to what I'm planning to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WP456Uf7e4&feature=PlayList&p=297A695028345E65&index=17

So, anyone got experience with these Tatonka kettles / billies?

Many thanks in advance!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Yep, They are excellent kit. Like a zebra in quality but wider so better when the heat source is underneath most of the time, and the lids are great for eating out of.

The bail arms work well by standing upright when on a stove and they lock when pouring out.

Sometimes a bit awkward getting the lid on and off but a tweek with pliers sorts that out, on those locking lugs.

I scraped the lid arm, and use a trangia style grab, as its a bit easyer, also handy for the main pot when stirring.

Ive the one up from the 0.9l and its a good medium sized pot. Ive a cheap copy that fits inside for the rare occasion where im not involved in helping to feed Spam!!

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Yeah i can second what Addo said
I use mine all the time and it is great - conducts the heat well, easy to keep clean.
The lid can be very fidgitty as Addo said but it is something you get used too.

I find boil in the bag rice is done in next to no time in these.....

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Is the lid (from a 1 ltr Tatonka) suited to do some frying (think: onions, piece of meat, little stirfrying)? Or is it to small?

Did you guys used it on a bushcooker / bushbuddy? How did it perform? Does the buddy / cooker fit into a 1.6 ltr? From what I can make up from the dimensions it should. As then I could get rid of my Zebra (and just get both sizes :naughty: - IIRC I read in another thread the 1 ltr fits into a 1.6 ltr? So that's handy for home storage ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE