Tatonka-Alternative fuels?

G

Goneferal

Hi all,

I know from other theads on the forum that it is possible to use bio-ethanol as an alternative to meths in my trusty Tatonka burner, but I am having major problems getting a good supply at the moment, with the likes of B&Q selling out very rapidly. They can't keep up with demand.

My question therefore is, can I use things like paraffin in the burner, safely, and without damage? Are there any other alternatives I could try?

£3-£4 for half a ltr of meths just isn't cricket.:sigh:

Many thanks

John

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you got a Mica hardware store nearby, meths is about £9 for 5L last time I checked.

Some links here for other sources

I wouldn't recommend paraffin although I've never tried it

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ethanol is fine, methanol is fine. Its been talked about here recently, IIRC B&Q are selling cheap ethanol just now. NO paraffin, petrol et al.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Belzeebob23 get's very cheap chaffing dish/pots from Costco I think, will ask him as I think it works out at about 60p for 4 hours burn time.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If the concern is that ordinary ethanol isn't 'bio' then to make any sense you first need to get rid of your car, your television, your computer, your mobile 'phone, your washing machine, your tumble dryer, your house. Then you can worry about your stove. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE