Tarp vs Tent (in the rain)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
Thanks for all the replies. Tarp it is.

Tarp

Tent

TNBTTP_zps9ad8e58c.jpg

What tarp is that? Is it SilNylon?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I know you've already made your decision but I'd go for a tarp every time. A good one will keep off the wet and you don't have to worry about wet kit once you're under it: the woodland floor will absorb all the water from your waterproofs or whatever else; wrestling with your clothes and boots in the porch of your tent and trying not to bring any water in with you is something of a thankless task. I would, however, also recommend using a bivvy bag unless you're going to hammock it - but you know that already. Hammock living is a great solution and gives you hanging space for your wet stuff as well as the space and air and shelter that you need. It's also a lot more comfortable.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
If you take a tarp I would recommend a decent ground sheet. A tub style one that is waterproof to a high level is ideal. I used to simply use a poncho to save weight and cost but a really wet camp in the New Forest resulted in wet gear.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
In cooler weather there's always the question of condensation in a tent to consider. My advice is to take the tent as security, but leave it in the car. You will gain confidence in your tarp that way.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Condensation isn't a problem in a decent tent with ventilation though, that would be my first choice.

nurvware

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
Wirral
Sorry to revive an old post but new here and reading through older stuff and picking up lots of info. A thought for others in this quandary. What about digging a a trench, the depth of a trowel around the tarp to channel any water around your camp spot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

NGM6456

Mar 24, 2014
United Kingdom
Having read the threads of this topic I feel that the lesson learned is if you dont fancy getting rained-out do not go to Wales! Much better off in Bonnie Scotland (where wild camping is legal, unlike other countries of the UK)

Lepmeister

Apr 23, 2012
Australia
Im normally in the hammock, but want to have a good ground set-up also.

The below is a quick look at the single tarp tent option that i have. Im working on a two man set-up, just for some extra room.

[video=youtube_share;Z3qspt60ftU]http://youtu.be/Z3qspt60ftU[/video]

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Brave man in a tarp tent in Aus! Dont like the idea personally of allowing to much access to some of your countries top critters! Think I would prefef a swag these days, but then I rarely backpack these days either.

Noseeum however is very sensible ootion, light to csrry and does give a good measure of protection from insects, very essential in parts of UK as well, where the midge rules supreme.

Nice outfit snd respect.

Alan l.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
depends where you will be camping, but if you can, dig sun small trenches around you to encourage the rain to run around the tent/tarp.

for me, whenever I go out, the planning centers around how to get dry again. On this fair island If your stay out long enough you will get soaked!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE