Day Out Tapping birch is hard work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I'm quite sure I'm boring the pants of some of you guys here, but, I'm addicted to making these video clips!! Just give it a thumbs down if you feel the need :):);)

Reactions: MrEd

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
What do you do with the sap?
Boil it down to Birch syrup?

If somebody gets bored, then he/she just does not have to watch your excellent vids!

Thanks Janne, no I pour it through some cloth at home and let my darling drink it as she needs all the "pickup" she can get after being I'll for a whole year.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like birch syrup on pancakes, waffles and vanilla ice cream. Never tried the fresh juice.
Thanks for the video. Always nice to see what others are doing. Time well wasted.
There's a characteristic "smokiness" to the syrup as a memory of burning birch firewood.
Very successful commercial businesses just 100 miles south of my place.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Great vid Sundowner; nice to see people actually 'doing' rather than 'talking about doing' :)

I wouldn't get away with tapping birches here after the end of March though; I assume your birches are a bit behind ours - you being way up North :)

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Great vid Sundowner; nice to see people actually 'doing' rather than 'talking about doing' :)

I wouldn't get away with tapping birches here after the end of March though; I assume your birches are a bit behind ours - you being way up North :)

Thanks my friend, I'll not do it again as there really isn't a need (unless SWMBO demands it - unlikely). I wish Ray Mears wouldn't have publicised it. Too many out there running wild in the woods with huge augers!!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not only birch tapping is a problem with ameture foragers. A few days ago I came across a couple ripping up handfulls of wild garlic completely denuding many plants of all their leaves and flowers while filling a plastic bag to the brim to "make some pesto." Apart from having no idea how to forage responsibly they were being greedy and taking far too much for their needs.
I did explain their actions consequences and show them how to pick responsibly and told them they had more than enough. He agreed and then proceeded to grab more handfull of leaves stuffing them into his bag.
To try and put him off I told him where he was picking from was a favourite dog wee spot.. he shrugged and said he could wash it!
I got realy cross and chased them off. He must have considered me quite rude ( in the end I was to my shame).
It can be quite a problem sometimes. It's become quite a fashon now and a bit of a problem with townies such as these with no idea denuding our flora and fauna. We also have a problem with deer poachers around here.
I hope they go mushroom picking in the autumn and pick a wrongun!

Reactions: Gabe and Sundowner

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I blame people like John Wright (The Forager's Calendar etc.) with his 'you can do what you like, it's only trespass' attitude. But it's not just foraging; the number of birch trees I've seen with the bark peeled just because uncle Ray said it was a good way to light a fire is depressing.

As for Birch sap, my favourite use it to just add a few drops to 'break' a nice cask strength malt - something about the purity of the flavour is rewarding (even if it's imagined :) ).

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That is interesting, Birch sap and malt.

Need to try that. I can not get much sap from the birches in July in the Lofotens as the leaves and flowers are fully formed ( flowers in middle of making seeds) but should be fine for a glass.
How much sap for a 0.5 dl measure?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That is interesting, Birch sap and malt.

Need to try that. I can not get much sap from the birches in July in the Lofotens as the leaves and flowers are fully formed ( flowers in middle of making seeds) but should be fine for a glass.
How much sap for a 0.5 dl measure?

Well Janne, that's a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string' :)

I usually drink my malt neat - even the cask strength (57 to 60%) - you literally just need to wet your lips with each sip :)

At tastings they will usually offer to 'break' the dram by adding 2,3 or 4 drops of spring water using a pipette - and yes, it does make a difference.

A professional malt taster will add twice as much water as malt (yuck) so that they can take in all the subtle flavours of the drink.

However, just for a change, I like a little spring water with my dram and then I would add about 10ml to a 50ml (Scottish Double) measure. Others add more; up to 25ml I would suggest.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
As for Birch sap, my favourite use it to just add a few drops to 'break' a nice cask strength malt - something about the purity of the flavour is rewarding (even if it's imagined :) ).
You just keep planting these ideas in poor, innocent and vulnerable bushcrafters heads (like mine) and we'll all be running around with massive augers getting more of this new angel juice :):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE